Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

On 6/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, Mr Newbie said:

I doubt it’s competent tenants they’re short of. More like tenants who expect fair wages and to not be treated like crap. I believe the Archie isn’t reopening as they’ve treated them like crap too and now need to find another mug to go in there and run it. 

I see your level of expertise in how pubs run is fantastic

Talking of booze, and especially beer, I've recently signed up to Beer52, after my Bottle Monkey lockdown mystery box was toss. My box arrived today through the post, quite happy with it apart from its got a Gose in it, and that's not really for me. I wasn't totally sure they'd ship to the Isle of Man so I emailed them first to check and got a prompt response, beer took about a week to turn up. Reviews suggest that cancelling might be a challenge but I'm not looking to right now, if I get 8/10 beers a month I've never tried before then that'll do me.

Dunno about affiliate links but if you sign up through mine you get a box on the cheap and I might too

https://www.beer52.com/join/K0RAK7

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Talking of booze, and especially beer, I've recently signed up to Beer52,

I too took up a subscription with BEER52 and availed of their free first box, delivered here to Isle of Man.

I ran into significant difficulties when attempting to cancel said subscription and ended up having to write to the home address of the Financial Director advising him that I had copied my bank with the letter and that no further payments were to be honoured. They eventually ended my subscription but my experience seems to be on par with a great many other disgruntled internet posters.

21 minutes ago, Gormless Git said:

I too took up a subscription with BEER52 and availed of their free first box, delivered here to Isle of Man.

I ran into significant difficulties when attempting to cancel said subscription and ended up having to write to the home address of the Financial Director advising him that I had copied my bank with the letter and that no further payments were to be honoured. They eventually ended my subscription but my experience seems to be on par with a great many other disgruntled internet posters.

Yeah, thats kind of typical of some of the complaints I've read about cancelling. It's basically up to them to supply me with decent beer to stop that happening in future, ie NO 2.8% or less toss thanks, and no Gose. 

There's an american style Brown Ale in my box I'm looking forward to devouring in about an hour.

Edited by TheTeapot

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, thats kind of typical of some of the complaints I've read about cancelling. It's basically up to them to supply me with decent beer to stop that happening in future, ie NO 2.8% or less toss thanks, and no Gose. 

There's an american style Brown Ale in my box I'm looking forward to devouring in about an hour.

rather than take the chance of having your pants pulled down and financially spanked, have you tried the little beer shop opposite The Thirsty Pigeon. He has a good selection of ales

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

rather than take the chance of having your pants pulled down and financially spanked, have you tried the little beer shop opposite The Thirsty Pigeon. He has a good selection of ales

Have you?

I take it you didn't read my first post then "after my Bottle Monkey lockdown mystery box was toss." I'm all for supporting local business but 1) his prices are insane and 2) he put a load of low alcohol dross in my box.

Edit - now the shop is open I am due a visit because I owe someone a kick in the head beer and I've got my eye on a 12% imperial coffee stout which costs about £7 a can, and will be buying two, so I'm not ruling him out as a future luxury option, but I want a small selection of unusual beer now and again. I don't want to spend £35 and have more than a quarter of it come back at less than 3%, that's not the kind of beer I'm interested in.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Have you?

I take it you didn't read my first post then "after my Bottle Monkey lockdown mystery box was toss." I'm all for supporting local business but 1) his prices are insane and 2) he put a load of low alcohol dross in my box.

apologies I had no idea what the place was called :( I just call in a couple of times. I didn't find it that expensive but I never went for the mystery box

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

apologies I had no idea what the place was called :( I just call in a couple of times. I didn't find it that expensive but I never went for the mystery box

I've edited my above post.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great it exists, I just felt a bit let down with my purchase which is why I've signed up to the other thing. Which on its first showing is pretty good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've edited my above post.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great it exists, I just felt a bit let down with my purchase which is why I've signed up to the other thing. Which on its first showing is pretty good.

Hopefully he'll see that if he follows the H&B business model and piss everybody off, he won't be in business long

He sells some unusual stuff you can't easily get elsewhere, and because 'craft' beer is hip it is pretty pricey anyway. The Hooded Ram shop tried it a bit too, but last time I paid them a visit their stock and selection was a bit feeble. Everyone needs to make a profit, but there's a difference between that and taking the piss. Good luck to the guy though, he's providing a service that is not really available elsewhere on island. If he hadn't put 2.5% and 2.8% beer in my box I'd have probably bought another one. I will nip in occasionally and buy myself the odd treat, I am a fan of stupidly strong beer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

He sells some unusual stuff you can't easily get elsewhere, and because 'craft' beer is hip it is pretty pricey anyway. The Hooded Ram shop tried it a bit too, but last time I paid them a visit their stock and selection was a bit feeble. Everyone needs to make a profit, but there's a difference between that and taking the piss. Good luck to the guy though, he's providing a service that is not really available elsewhere on island. If he hadn't put 2.5% and 2.8% beer in my box I'd have probably bought another one. I will nip in occasionally and buy myself the odd treat, I am a fan of stupidly strong beer.

You pay for what you get. Any heavily hopped beers will cost a fortune because hops cost a fortune. He won't miss you if you want to waste your time with off island suppliers. They'll end up sending you shite, unable or difficult to unsubscribe and you can't walk in and have a word with the owner of the shop about what beer you want.

And as for moaning about what you got sent during lock down in your mystery box, piss off and be less selfish. He was  out delivering island wide throughout the whole time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

You pay for what you get. Any heavily hopped beers will cost a fortune because hops cost a fortune. He won't miss you if you want to waste your time with off island suppliers. They'll end up sending you shite, unable or difficult to unsubscribe and you can't walk in and have a word with the owner of the shop about what beer you want.

And as for moaning about what you got sent during lock down in your mystery box, piss off and be less selfish. He was  out delivering island wide throughout the whole time. 

I haven't slated him, I appreciate what he does and what he offers, it just didn't suit me, and as I have posted above I will be visiting occasionally. I don't go to Douglas often though.

I've wanted to get some kind of mixed box of beers regularly delivered for some time after being gifted a beer advent calendar, and my first option choice was the local one. If you are forking out £35 for 10 beers though, getting 4 of them you could drink for breakfast and still do a days work is a bit poor. It is entirely possible that Beer52 might send me some shite, the Deep Creek Lagarita Lime Sour in todays box certainly was, but it's a gamble I've taken after my first choice wasn't what I was hoping for, and not worth the money.

9 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Was that the guy in the gold plated rolls Royce?