Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Some of them actually have customers too. And some have fewer or practically no customers, leading to them closing their doors and the properties being left to rot with restrictive conditions on their terms of sale. 

Yes. I was discussing with some folks recently how much it would cost us to buy the Liverpool Arms. Put in a great manager and get the place really jumping. Just for fun. We know they want to sell it with a restrictive covenant to preclude anyone doing this but everyone has his price. I've said before that I believe such covenants should be illegal. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, woolley said:

I agree. But the boat fare and the getting home afterwards is a deal breaker. 

Only at present, we go to Liverpool regularly and will resume once the pandemic is under control, and must admit the entertainment of an afternoon in town is better than the Island can offer at night and best of all its free and you have a choice to go up market or slum it, I personally prefer the latter as these pubs are how the Island's pub's used to be, not these themed over priced joints that we have now. Peel has not lost the old pub style and you can still afford to go out for a few without getting ripped off, Douglas forget it,  the last time I was out in Douglas was Easter Sunday 1998 and that was along the Barbary coast which to be fair was ok.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

We know they want to sell it with a restrictive covenant to preclude anyone doing this but everyone has his price. I've said before that I believe such covenants should be illegal. 

You can sell anything on just about any terms you wish. It is a case of whether or not it is enforceable, rather than legal/illegal.

The little but relevant I know about land law and covenants etc, I would suggest it isn't. There's plenty of discussion on the forums about the very subject.

I do think it is about time someone stuck two fingers up to the brewery on this but as with any legal action, it's always going to be a gamble.

The irony is, that if the brewery relinquished their near monopoly status, the whole pub scene could likely flourish again, including of course the brewery pubs.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The smaller Liverpool city centre pubs charge @£2.20 a pint for carling and the pubs serving grub outside of town charge @£3.20 which I think is quite reasonable.

Up until 1980s or so the Isle of Man alcohol prices were generally significantly cheaper than UK, and larger shot measures too.  There were two main breweries and so perhaps healthy competition worked for everyone. Different economic circumstances of course, but the point still stands.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Up until 1980s or so the Isle of Man alcohol prices were generally significantly cheaper than UK, and larger shot measures too.  There were two main breweries and so perhaps healthy competition worked for everyone. Different economic circumstances of course, but the point still stands.

Well there's still competition now.  Doesn't make much difference to prices.

How did they do it in the 1970s? I seem to remember beer in UK (student prices) being about £1 a pint and IoM 75p.

[edited to add: the above prices are far too high, as pointed out later. Ratio my be about right though]

I worked in a pub in the 1970s. There was a bloke from Ireland who was on holiday who just sat in the pub all day downing Guinness, same as he did most days at home. His wife and kids were on the beach all day. He said the money he saved in cheaper Guinness, and I suppose the exchange rate on the punt, more-or-less paid for the holiday.  Well that was his excuse for getting bladdered on the black stuff every day.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Having two breweries producing on a fairly large scale probably helped

The pub/bar scene has changed quite a lot since the seventies. Folks like Bushy's really have to be admired for keeping going

UK size beer duties & massive VAT are huge obstacles to surmount

37 minutes ago, gettafa said:

How did they do it in the 1970s? I seem to remember beer in UK (student prices) being about £1 a pint and IoM 75p.

I worked in a pub in the 1970s. There was a bloke from Ireland who was on holiday who just sat in the pub all day downing Guinness, same as he did most days at home. His wife and kids were on the beach all day. He said the money he saved in cheaper Guinness, and I suppose the exchange rate on the punt, more-or-less paid for the holiday.  Well that was his excuse for getting bladdered on the black stuff every day.

Well, I vowed and declared that once a pint got to a quid I'd go TT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Real ales have nutritional qualities and should be zero rated as food!

Actually closer to the truth than you think. The ingredients for beer are pretty much the same as artisan bread. Try putting vat on bread!