Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

How did they do it in the 1970s? I seem to remember beer in UK (student prices) being about £1 a pint and IoM 75p.

I worked in a pub in the 1970s. There was a bloke from Ireland who was on holiday who just sat in the pub all day downing Guinness, same as he did most days at home. His wife and kids were on the beach all day. He said the money he saved in cheaper Guinness, and I suppose the exchange rate on the punt, more-or-less paid for the holiday.  Well that was his excuse for getting bladdered on the black stuff every day.

Love the Irishman story, but those prices are too heavy for the 70s. In UK in 1976 a pint was about 20p having doubled from 10p over 4 years due to the great inflation of the time. Maybe another 50 per cent tops by the end of the decade. Certainly not a quid a pint. We probably got there around early 90s. You might have found some hole in London to charge you a pound a pint in the 70s. 

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Compton Vaults is to close in September :( 

I heard that. To be honest it has only really been held together by Juan's strength of will. It never felt like it would last forever, but it's been great while it has.

My recollection of beer prices was late 80s you'd buy a round and give the barman a quid per drink plus an extra quid for the extra pence over the quid. So four pints would cost about a fiver.

Edited by Declan

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Love the Irishman story, but those prices are too heavy for the 70s. In UK in 1976 a pint was about 20p having doubled from 10p over 4 years due to the great inflation of the time. Maybe another 50 per cent tops by the end of the decade. Certainly not a quid a pint. We probably got there around early 90s. You might have found some hole in London to charge you a pound a pint in the 70s. 

My drinking career started in late 1977 (IoM). Bitter 10p a pint, lager 12p. Lager then jumped to 15p.

Early 80's the manager of the Raven, Ballaugh, George Leeming, was notorious for charging German TT visitors £1 a pint by not giving them change from their note.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Early 80's the manager of the Raven, Ballaugh, George Leeming, was notorious for charging German TT visitors £1 a pint by not giving them change from their note.

Traditional way to treat tourists. They love our quirky customs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gettafa said:

How did they do it in the 1970s? I seem to remember beer in UK (student prices) being about £1 a pint and IoM 75p.

I worked in a pub in the 1970s. There was a bloke from Ireland who was on holiday who just sat in the pub all day downing Guinness, same as he did most days at home. His wife and kids were on the beach all day. He said the money he saved in cheaper Guinness, and I suppose the exchange rate on the punt, more-or-less paid for the holiday.  Well that was his excuse for getting bladdered on the black stuff every day.

The " Black Pints Matter" movement was an important lobby group way back then.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

However, they’d got their retaliation in first by machine-gunning his grandfather. Probably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1