Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

Pretty much to be expected. The landlady's move to the Royal (or the Megastanley as Ramsey folk are calling it now) was inspired. They haven't yet re-opened the Central and I see there's an online petition circulating to try and put some pressure on them.

From the Manx Radio report:

"It's unclear at the moment as to whether there will be a use restriction applied by the seller."

Well, what's the odds there will be a 'covenant' lashed on it.

• Like 1

Ideal opportunity for Mr Lloyd to purchase, demolish and give him a usably-sized plot (combined with his existing vacant plot) on East St. That would go some way to removing the lack of parking spaces that are the stumbling block to the existing proposals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Ideal opportunity for Mr Lloyd to purchase, demolish and give him a usably-sized plot (combined with his existing vacant plot) on East St. That would go some way to removing the lack of parking spaces that are the stumbling block to the existing proposals.

Still an engineering nightmare. The only real parking option would be underground. That’s because of development height restrictions that would apply.

Stanley cellar regularly floods, and it’s not just flooding that tanking would solve.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Still an engineering nightmare. The only real parking option would be underground. That’s because of development height restrictions that would apply.

Stanley cellar regularly floods, and it’s not just flooding that tanking would solve.

I wonder about the possibility of some sort of smart Mall on there, it's right in the middle of the town retail centre and the previous buildings were obviously retail. Whether Ramsey would have the footfall to support such a development would be the next question?

On 11/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, John Wright said:

Tanking will solve the problem easily, its just that it seems on the Isle of Man the wrong method of tanking is used. They lash stuff on the walls and floor and it is nice and dry for a while but it is going to fail one day and when it does it is catastrophic. I've seen it many times. Victorian architecture employing Victorian methods.

The Isle of Man might catch up one day, but tanking systems in the 21st Century will generally just allow water in behind a barrier and have it pumped away.

(just thought I'd say because it is a bugbear I have)

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Tanking will solve the problem easily, its just that it seems on the Isle of Man the wrong method of tanking is used. They lash stuff on the walls and floor and it is nice and dry for a while but it is going to fail one day and when it does it is catastrophic. I've seen it many times. Victorian architecture employing Victorian methods.

The Isle of Man might catch up one day, but tanking systems in the 21st Century will generally just allow water in behind a barrier and have it pumped away.

(just thought I'd say because it is a bugbear I have)

You’ve missed the point.

Some of the flooding isn’t down to tidal water permeating through the harbour wall, under the road, and through the cellar walls. Rather it’s overtopping.

Explain, with diagrams and calculations if appropriate, how tanking will resolve that.

• Like 2

Yep, sorry, I see what you mean. 

I suppose like Castletown has built 'flood-proof' defence walls, the same could be done for Ramsey, or any building could be flood proof a couple of feet or whatever above road level

On a side but not unrelated note, the last time there was flooding on Douglas North Quay, the tide was over the road and about to flood into The British, well the level of the corner step anyqway.

And yet the water was draining down the grid (arrowed). I have a video of it somewhere, as I was just passing. I don't know where that water was going but it was below sea level.

(Nope, I cannot draw a diagram as to what happened, but it happened. I think there is a pumping station around there that may have been taking the water until it filled up, I dunno but weird seeing the sea draining down below itself)

Here's a Google Earth shot. The drain guys just happen to be on Google Earth, but it gives the picture some erm, relevance or gravitas for my point.

The British 01.jpg

Edited by Barlow

58 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Yep, sorry, I see what you mean. 

A 2 feet high threshold wouldn’t  solve the problem of the Stanley as is,  given internal floor and ceiling levels. A new development will probably need underground parking to get planning. Sure it’s possible to tank, but a raised threshold to protect subterranean parking from high tides is more problematic.