Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

Did you know that our government currently has a consultation out about the future of the licencing laws? Well they do, and it runs til Jan 18, so seeing as we're in lockdown fill it in eh? Tell them that minimum unit pricing is stupid and that they need to be far more flexible with temporary licences for events yeah? Cheers.

https://www.gov.im/news/2020/dec/14/have-your-say-on-modernisation-of-alcohol-licensing-laws/

• Like 2

"How innovation can be encouraged within the trade".

Outlawing restrictive covenants preventing enterprising businesses from running H&B's cast-off pubs as pubs would be a good start?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I see from iomtoday that the genius planning department have denied H&B permission to demolish the Britannia in Ramsey. Although the building itself is not registered, it sits within a "Conservation Area" and planners have decreed that demolition would not be in keeping with that status.

So what future now for a derelict pub, unwanted and stripped out by its owners and requiring so much work that it's unlikely to be attractive at its price tag and presumed covenants to other investors? I'm told that the upstairs living accommodation is so far gone that all but one room are uninhabitable. Another Ramsey feature?

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I see from iomtoday that the genius planning department have denied H&B permission to demolish the Britannia in Ramsey. Although the building itself is not registered, it sits within a "Conservation Area" and planners have decreed that demolition would not be in keeping with that status.

So what future now for a derelict pub, unwanted and stripped out by its owners and requiring so much work that it's unlikely to be attractive at its price tag and presumed covenants to other investors? I'm told that the upstairs living accommodation is so far gone that all but one room are uninhabitable. Another Ramsey feature?

Same as all the other derelict pubs denied planning like Groudle, Liverpool arms, Waterfall they just deteriorate more & more

The problem is not planning. The problem is H&B running the pubs down, slapping on restrictive covenants and then (Fort Island styley) leaving them as eyesores, in the hope they can get planning to turn them into luxury executive housing developments (*may prove unsuitable for the rapid rotation of felines).

If the authorites stopped H&B from getting away with it, perhaps H&B would stop doing it in the first place. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Crazy decision. It's needs knocking down and replacing with new commercial units downstairs with food and alcohol use (if desired) and 8 to 12  apartments above.   Madness 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yibble said:

The problem is not planning. The problem is H&B running the pubs down, slapping on restrictive covenants and then (Fort Island styley) leaving them as eyesores, in the hope they can get planning to turn them into luxury executive housing developments (*may prove unsuitable for the rapid rotation of felines).

If the authorites stopped H&B from getting away with it, perhaps H&B would stop doing it in the first place. 

Not sure of the relevance of Fort Island. Was it ever owned by the Brewery ( or its predecessors)

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Not sure of the relevance of Fort Island. Was it ever owned by the Brewery ( or its predecessors)

I wasn't suggesting that. Merely highlighting that FI seems (to me) to be another prominent example of a business creating blight, in the hope that may help as leverage for them to get planning permission for an inappropriate change of use.

6 minutes ago, Yibble said:

The Brit has long been a dump.  It's to the benefit of Ramsey if it is knocked down and replaced by a modern block with commercial /retail on the ground floor and residential above.

No one is spending half a million sorting the Brit out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The Brit has long been a dump.  It's to the benefit of Ramsey if it is knocked down and replaced by a modern block with commercial /retail on the ground floor and residential above.

No one is spending half a million sorting the Brit out.

Maybe the brewery's behaviour elsewhere has bitten them back on the arse here then. I do hope so, albeit I accept that may not be great for Ramsey (in the short term).

On 2/25/2021 at 6:21 PM, Yibble said:

Maybe the brewery's behaviour elsewhere has bitten them back on the arse here then. I do hope so, albeit I accept that may not be great for Ramsey (in the short term).

This decision would appear to have knocked the ball firmly back into H&B's court, there would appear to be 3 options open to them now:

1) They offload it for what they can get for it, bearing in mind the state of the building and that the "no demolition" decree may also apply to the purchaser. What does that make the building worth?

2) They refurbish it and run it again as a pub, which isn't going to happen given the brewery's approach, the spend required and the likely patronage.

3) They sit on it, it owes them nothing and isn't registered in itself, meaning that there's no obligation to maintain (not that it's bothered them anywhere else before). So it can be left to deteriorate until it reaches the stage that it's dangerous to the public and Ramsey Comms. have to step in and declare it ruinous so that it does officially have to be demolished (as they did with the old Chrystal's Mart building a few years back).

None of which does the location or Ramsey any favours. 

• Like 1