Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I  had the pleasure of going out to lunch with a chef from one of the H&B pubs today and can confirm that safe, mediocre (and often bland) seemed to be the requirements of his position.  

A chef or a microwave operative?:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I  had the pleasure of going out to lunch with a chef from one of the H&B pubs today and can confirm that safe, mediocre (and often bland) seemed to be the requirements of his position.  

Which is fine at the price point they are at.  A lot of people like to know what they are getting and so for the price the model is good.

We have a family member who eats gluten free.  She knows exactly what she gets in any H and B pub.

I am not saying they can’t improve the food, but I don’t see an issue with the price and the model

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Which is fine at the price point they are at.  A lot of people like to know what they are getting and so for the price the model is good.

We have a family member who eats gluten free.  She knows exactly what she gets in any H and B pub.

I am not saying they can’t improve the food, but I don’t see an issue with the price and the model

Exactly the same menu in every outlet is also very off-putting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

Exactly the same menu in every outlet is also very off-putting.

For some. It is a positive for others who like to know what they are getting and they nearly all have different specials boards which are pretty good on top of the standard menu.

I nearly always eat off the specials.  The kids have a trackside burger and the pasta wherever we we are.

The Mrs has 9 pints of Guinness and four pints of Okells, with sticky toffee pudding.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

For some. It is a positive for others who like to know what they are getting and they nearly all have different specials boards which are pretty good on top of the standard menu.

I nearly always eat off the specials.  The kids have a trackside burger and the pasta wherever we we are.

The Mrs has 9 pints of Guinness and four pints of Okells, with sticky toffee pudding.

Which first the Guinness or the Okells (not that is Okells really anymore )

Edited by alpha-acid
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Is Saturday recently enough for you?

Yes.

You and I obviously have different expectations.

I have eaten in amazing restaurants worldwide but fully understand that those levels of food and service won’t be achieved on a late 20th century housing estate in Onchan for less than £15.

I don’t see an issue with the food for what you pay but you obviously do so that is fair enough.

Where on island offers better value out of interest? Not better food, but better value when you take into account the overall experience, environment etc.

22 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Yes.

I have eaten in amazing restaurants worldwide but fully understand that those levels of food and service won’t be achieved on a late 20th century housing estate in Onchan for less than £15.

I don’t see an issue with the food for what you pay but you obviously do so that is fair enough.

Where on island offers better value out of interest? Not better food, but better value when you take into account the overall experience, environment etc.

I took a friend to eat in the Creek in Peel last week not only was the food fantastic ,and really good value for money ,he couldn't  get over the choice on the menu ,  we had to go early ,for even in October it gets quite full , 

you cant have a better recommendation  than that , I have also eaten in the Marine in Peel recently also excellent value for money ,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

Which first the Guinness or the Okells (not that is Okells really anymore )

You are lucky then , the last time I was in a H and  B pub thad did meals they had run out of Draught beer , now thats  a sackable offence anywhere ,in Ireland you would be shot !

6 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Yes.

The Marine in Peel, far superior to any H&B offerings and at a fair price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The Marine in Peel, far superior to any H&B offerings and at a fair price.

Depends on what you want from a trip out.

The food in the Marine is good value but if compared to the Cat, Horse and Plough or Highwayman it is scruffy, cramped, has no parking, no kids play area and no outdoor space (well it does have a particularly scruffy roof terrace but you hardly ever see anyone use it).  There are definitely people who wouldn’t set foot in the place because in reality it needs a damn good clean and a refurb.  Nearly everything is frozen, you can’t possibly have a menu (laminated, and about twenty years old and tatty) that size and not freeze stuff, especially the Zebra steaks.

H and B by contrast are spacious, well maintained and clean.

I really don’t think they are bad value when you factor everything in.

• Haha 1

Couldn't agree more Ramseyboi. The Marine is pile the plate full to satisfy the pie and chips brigade. Totally overfacing and as you say a lot of it frozen. Granted not all H&B outlets are the best, and that's down to the chef and/or management, but the one's I've eaten in recently have provided good food at a very reasonable price. Don't forget they are one of the places over here that did cut prices to pass on the VAT reduction too, so not necessarily the money grabbers that people make out.