Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

2 hours ago, Peter Layman said:

which pub was this?

The Bridge, I was in there for dinner last week, good fajitas, impressed for a H and B pub.

My biggest issue with them is lack of decent ales, go to the Swan for the footy and you’re left drinking Guiness all day if you don’t like crap lager or Okells. A few years ago the manager of the Royal would always try and get some decent beers in, he told us that he had to cover the cost though and if it didn’t sell it came out of his pocket. If it was a success and takings went up it didn’t make any difference to his wage, why would you bother if that’s the case?

55 minutes ago, manxchester said:

The Bridge, I was in there for dinner last week, good fajitas, impressed for a H and B pub.

My biggest issue with them is lack of decent ales, go to the Swan for the footy and you’re left drinking Guiness all day if you don’t like crap lager or Okells. A few years ago the manager of the Royal would always try and get some decent beers in, he told us that he had to cover the cost though and if it didn’t sell it came out of his pocket. If it was a success and takings went up it didn’t make any difference to his wage, why would you bother if that’s the case?

That must have been a few years ago, the current manager is terrible

4 hours ago, Danoo said:

Have to agree. In fact the only pub that lets Peel down is The Highwayman, a brewery pub. It's perma-empty and a waste of a decent building. Just hand it over to someone who knows how to run a pub and for an establishment on the edge of one of the largest housing estates on earth it will start to turn a profit in no time.

When the Highwayman was full of artifacts and made to look like an old farm pub, the food was really good and their was a good, cosy feeling but after it was re- furbished it went downhill fast, IMO

• Like 3

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

When the Highwayman was full of artifacts and made to look like an old farm pub, the food was really good and their was a good, cosy feeling but after it was re- furbished it went downhill fast, IMO

Just another case of the brewery giving the customers what they want. 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Last time I went in there had the sea bass and sautéed potatoes. It was very nice. But I was a few years ago mind

8 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

That just says closed though without the (alleged) juicy back story

There wasn't one. The lease came to an end. They wanted to negotiate a new one but the landlord asked for too much money. Add in one of the directors with ill health and they simply said no thanks and walked away. Much rubbish was spoken about covid etc, but as I understand it that wasn't a major factor.

2 minutes ago, piebaps said:

There wasn't one. The lease came to an end. They wanted to negotiate a new one but the landlord asked for too much money. Add in one of the directors with ill health and they simply said no thanks and walked away. Much rubbish was spoken about covid etc, but as I understand it that wasn't a major factor.

The juicy rumours were nonsense then.

How very Manx.

cheers for clearing it up

9 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

Had a smashing meal in the Swan a couple of months ago. Really tasty, and the lass serving is a right character too. 

Yes had a really nice meal in there a couple of weeks ago too and yes shes a real character . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes had a really nice meal in there a couple of weeks ago too and yes shes a real character . 

I believe I highlighted the Swan in a post this morning or last night.

Good beer, brilliant food and brilliant service at very reasonable prices.

Haters will always hate though, even if they haven’t tried it for years 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

I like the Swan and the staff and landlady are great but would have to disagree with that bit.

9 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

9 hours ago, manxchester said:

I like the Swan and the staff and landlady are great but would have to disagree with that bit.

Didnt the swan have a guest cask ale on 5 years or so ago when Trevor was there. The brewery are keen to sell them but people have to buy them. Look at the prospect and woody as examples.

If someone could persuade the manageress that the locals want a cask ale I'm sure they would.

My observation of the locals though is that they are more Carling than Timothy Taylor's.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

On my newsfeed this morning.

Another Brewery pub advertising the same old rubbish food off the same menu they allegedly run in all of them.

A8B3FF58-DE12-4AB6-A42F-50E11D8C0D4E.jpeg

It looks, like the brewery are now individual pubs to come up with their own menus. I hope this is the case