Benefit Fraud

silky

Would you report someone who you knew was frauduently claiming benefits?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I put "yes, if I could be anonymous" - mainly cos i'm a chicken xxxxx lol. But I have to say, I agree with Stav, I guess it depends on the circumstances. - so can I change my answer please :D as i know big brother is watching.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from Manx Radio

A Willaston woman has been given 80 hours of community service for benefit fraud.

Teri English was overpaid more than £21,000 after making false statements.

She failed to tell authorities she was living with a partner, although it was argued he wasn't with her all the time.

English was also put on probation for two years.

Meanwhile a 23 year old Douglas woman charged with the same offence, has been given a 15 month suspended prison sentence and a two year supervision order.

Lindsey Wilson stole two DHSS cheques and attempted to cash them.

The court heard she had gained an extra £21,000 she wasn't entitled to.

Where is the deterent from commiting benefit fraud ? 80 hours community service for £21,000. Works out at £262.50 per hour !!!!!!!!!

Unless the court's are going to hand out some serious punishments then people will just carry on getting thousand's of pounds they are not entitled to, all paid for out of taxes.

Quote from the Isle of Man Courier....................

"A Woman who fiddled the DHSS out of up to £22,000 was given 80 hours community service and placed on probation for 2 years.

Teri Louise English, 22, of Peveril Road, Willaston appeared before Deemster Doyle.

She admitted six offences of making false statements to obtain social security benefits.

Peter Carle prosecuting, said she claimed income support as a single mother of two from June 2004.

Each time she collected cash she signed to say her circumstances had not changed.

As a result of a tip-off her home was watched and Joseph Langton was seen leaving on several mornings. The House and utility bills were in their joint names, Mr Carle said.

English received £21,383 more than she was entitled to in a four month period, the prosecution alleged. Advocate Ian Kermode said Mr Langton wasn't permanently resident with English so the amount was only £10,000.

/end quote

They then go on to say it was ignorance and the money was not squandered.

Unless the Courier has made a huge mistake this stinks and I feel that if I am supporting scroungers getting that sort of money from the DHSS then I will give up work myself, struggle for 6 weeks and then claimoff the rest of you paying NI contributions.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr its so bloody annoying :(

from Manx Radio

A Willaston woman has been given 80 hours of community service for benefit fraud.

Teri English was overpaid more than £21,000 after making false statements.

She failed to tell authorities she was living with a partner, although it was argued he wasn't with her all the time.

English was also put on probation for two years.

Meanwhile a 23 year old Douglas woman charged with the same offence, has been given a 15 month suspended prison sentence and a two year supervision order.

Lindsey Wilson stole two DHSS cheques and attempted to cash them.

The court heard she had gained an extra £21,000 she wasn't entitled to.

Where is the deterent from commiting benefit fraud ? 80 hours community service for £21,000. Works out at £262.50 per hour !!!!!!!!!

Unless the court's are going to hand out some serious punishments then people will just carry on getting thousand's of pounds they are not entitled to, all paid for out of taxes.

Smashing idea, send mum down for a stretch...the kids would love it :angry:

I'm sure recent events have had a greater strain on your taxes than the 'kings ransom' this particular woman wrongly claimed.

And what about here in the UK the overpayment of tax credits, a lot has come from people not informing of a change of circumstances...is there a differance?

I'm sure Ms English will suffer enough in the shame that will follow in the community, local shop etc.

I wonder if she was a forum member?

Name splashed all over here.

And believe me, she will pay every penny back by reduced benefits she IS entitled to.

A frightfully distasteful thread....he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

And believe me, she will pay every penny back by reduced benefits she IS entitled to.

Too true. And it will be at the rate of 2 quid per week. How long will that take to pay off 22 grand.

Go sit on your finger for a while Marcus whilst we vent off a little steam about stuff that goes on here.

Too true. And it will be at the rate of 2 quid per week. How long will that take to pay off 22 grand.

Go sit on your finger for a while Marcus whilst we vent off a little steam about stuff that goes on here.

Fine no problem.

You must be so proud of yourselves.

Is 'child benefit' still awarded universally and without means testing?

Ditto tax relief / benefits against a mortgage debt? Without means testing?

EDIT: I know of several people who pay their state pensions directly to charity because they believe that the system should not be used to pay extra income to wealthy people who already have more than enough to live on.

Deleted a comment from a poster speculating on an imminent court case. Please remember that both defendants and prosecuters may be in a position to use such evidence as prejudical.

English received £21,383 more than she was entitled to in a four month period, the prosecution alleged. Advocate Ian Kermode said Mr Langton wasn't permanently resident with English so the amount was only £10,000.

/end quote

So they were receiving between £2,500 and £4,250 per month from the honest, decent taxpayers of the parish. Well, because of their circumstances that's all right then!

Come on, there's a whole world of difference between genuine need and taking the urine. I don't think there's any doubt about which category they fall in to...

Is 'child benefit' still awarded univerally and without means testing?

Yeah, it is. Although I do know a few parents who don't claim because it's not really a significant enough amount to make any difference to them.

Deleted a comment from a poster speculating on an imminent court case. Please remember that both defendants and prosecuters may be in a position to use such evidence as prejudical.

Apparently the date has been stated on your local news

I'm sure it has. But speculating on what a party may or may not claim in court is not on. Go talk to your buddy FCMR, I'm sure he'd agree.

Archived