Benefit Fraud

silky

Would you report someone who you knew was frauduently claiming benefits?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Quote from the Isle of Man Courier....................

"A Woman who fiddled the DHSS out of up to £22,000 was given 80 hours community service and placed on probation for 2 years.

English received £21,383 more than she was entitled to in a four month period, the prosecution alleged. Advocate Ian Kermode said Mr Langton wasn't permanently resident with English so the amount was only £10,000.

/end quote

Unless the Courier has made a huge mistake this stinks and I feel that if I am supporting scroungers getting that sort of money from the DHSS then I will give up work myself, struggle for 6 weeks and then claimoff the rest of you paying NI contributions.

Terribe, I agree. I think we should clamp down on all this and spend the money in a better way - let's give the MHKs a pay rise! On second thoughts I think I'd rather it went to "benefit scroungers"

You`ll now see the apology in the Courier for the erro in the original  printing of facts.

Yep, you are correct. There is an apology in this weeks Courier. FCMR apparently called the paper to verify the amount and he was told it was correct.

Even so, fraud is still theft if it is 100 quid or 10,000 quid.

Shop ‘em and without a moments hesitation.

I’ve done so around a dozen times over the years and twice in the just the last 18 months when I found people were working for me on contract and claiming ‘job seekers allowance’ at the same time.

It's a no-brainer.

It's not 'grassing', it's being socially responsible.

I did vote "Yes without question", howevere now I'm in the position of knowing someone who is working and also claiming benefits I find I was wrong.

I kind of hope he gets caught, but it won't be me grassing him up.

I did vote "Yes without question", howevere now I'm in the position of knowing someone who is working and also claiming benefits I find I was wrong.

I kind of hope he gets caught, but it won't be me grassing him up.

It's not 'grassing' anyone up.

Whoever it is is a lying cheating thief .

He deserves to be exposed.

Shop ‘em and without a moments hesitation.

I’ve done so around a dozen times over the years and twice in the just the last 18 months when I found people were working for me on contract and claiming ‘job seekers allowance’ at the same time. 

It's a no-brainer.

It's not 'grassing', it's being socially responsible.

So what if the person claiming was having to support a family of four whilst the father was missing and unwilling to pay child support. What if the "contract" job lasted only two weeks and paid peanuts like many do. What if this person had previously worked for twenty years non-stop paying taxes and NI without claiming anything. Without a moment's hesitation is ridiculous. There are always exceptions and things to be considered. Who publishes this crap?

Feeling hard done by is no real mitigation for stealing is it?

I have two kids that I have to support, rent to pay and bills to meet. All this means that there are some things I can't afford. According to you, this means I just go out and defraud the system of the money to buy a new car or kitchen.

If benefit fraud is reduced, there is more money around for better schools, hospitals, policing and the fire service. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather my taxes ended up being put to use for those things than to supplement the perceived income shortfall some thieving lowlife thinks they have.

The benefit system is set up and designed to meet the requirements of the needy. It's not there to finance someone's plasma TV and annual foreign holiday.

The benefit system is set up and designed to meet the requirements of the needy. It's not there to finance someone's plasma TV and annual foreign holiday.

I totally agree

For example ... Miss X lives with partner and two children from a previous relationship.

Miss X claims all possible benefits as a single parent and works nights on a "cash in hand" basis. Her partner also works full time during the day.

This sort of thing is commonplace :rolleyes:

If benefit fraud is reduced, there is more money around for better schools, hospitals, policing and the fire service. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather my taxes ended up being put to use for those things than to supplement the perceived income shortfall some thieving lowlife thinks they have.

OK but do you honestly think if savings were made by reducing benefit fraud that our taxes would be spent better. Surely they'd just be wasted in some other way.

Archived