Benefit Fraud

silky

Would you report someone who you knew was frauduently claiming benefits?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let the police do their job...

The police need information to do their job....

It's a very blinkered and naive attitude to think that it's ok to just allow people to rip off the system that's in place for the needy.

The police need information to do their job....

It's a very blinkered and naive attitude to think that it's ok to just allow people to rip off the system that's in place for the needy.

No problems with that - but I'd feel a lot happier if it was guaranteed that those in need of benefits were always given the information needed to make their rightful claims.

So establish a Claimants Union.

They were very popular over here in many of the big towns and cities up to about 10 years ago

The way that they work is that a group of people get together to pool knowledge about what is available and under what circumstances in order to help those who need to be given the information as to what they are entitled so that they could then make a claim.

Use was made of citizens advice offices as well as experience that has been gained by other members, study of the plethora of pamphlets available and so forth to help people to learn what they should be getting and even to bring pressure to bear if some individual behind a desk decides to be difficult.

Has anyone ever thougt of the consequences of reporting someone, and it was proved you were wrong?

A woman on my estate was reported, the 'gallant informer' said that her boyfriend was living with her full time.

After reports from neighbours of two men in suits, knocking on her door she decided that she would stay in for a few days to see if they called (They left no calling card)....it was the DHSS...'wev'e had information passed onto us...blah blah'

Her benefit was stopped briefly while it was investigated, yes her boyfriend did stay over, but no more than the 5 permitted nights, he had his own address etc.

In this case not to much damage was done, but i imagine its not always the case.

In no way do i agree with people making fraudulant claims, but whilst there remains such a gap in wealth, it will sadly continue.

Maybe we could balance things out by having hot lines to dob people in who clock there mates in, or neighbours throwing those dodgy sickies.

Lastly Rog. did you never think to ask the employee's you sacked, why they continued to claim benefit whilst working for you?

Or are you already aware that you pay xxxxx wages?

Lastly Rog. did you never think to ask the employee's you sacked, why they continued to claim benefit whilst working for you?

Or are you already aware that you pay xxxxx wages?

1) No. Don't care. Not my problem.

2) I don't pay crap wages. I pay the rate for the job. A VERY good rate it is as well.

1) No. Don't care.  Not my problem.

2) I don't pay crap wages.    I pay the rate for the job.  A VERY good rate it is as well.

Great attitude. Explains why people are willing to break the rules and claim what they aren't entitled to. Does the rate you pay equal less than 50% of what you earn? I bet it does.

1) No. Don't care.  Not my problem.

2) I don't pay crap wages.    I pay the rate for the job.  A VERY good rate it is as well.

Great attitude. Explains why people are willing to break the rules and claim what they aren't entitled to. Does the rate you pay equal less than 50% of what you earn? I bet it does.

I run a small business CM.

I invest MY money, I take the risks, I have to lay out for wages and bills with the constant and very real risk of non-payment and the certainty of late payment, the impacts of currency movements (most of my work is overseas) running costs, being on call 24/7 and so forth.

I have to bear the costs of public liability insurance for my contractors, I have to bear the costs of medical insurance of my contractors, I have to bear the accommodation costs of my contractors, I have to bear the transport costs of my contractors, I have to bear the emergency repatriation insurance costs of my contractors, I have to bear the training costs when training on specific plant is needed (and it is increasingly so) for my contractors, I have to bear the administration costs of running my business and a whole lot more besides.

Rates of pay? Depends on the job and the country.

For the two guys that I ‘dobbed-in’ it was E35 / hr with a guaranteed minimum 35 hours booked per week and for a 8 week contract period.

(The work was ripping out and replacing telecoms cabling and plant in two factories and a hotel in the Czech Republic.)

On top of that rate they also got a hand tool kit (£700) that was theirs to keep at the end of the contract, training in the use of fibre fusion equipment (that cost me £350 each plus a further £400 costs of travel and overnight accommodation) plus all fares between their UK address and Prague (door to door) plus £50 for unreceipted expenses en route, a shared rental car (them plus two others with them) in country for the duration of the contract , hotel and reasonable messing at cost, and 30 Euro per day unreceipted expenses.

Payment was made weekly in arrears to an off shore account that I had set up for them, as is normal in this business, but that still costs me money for fidelity insurance.

I didn’t get paid by the main contractor until just over three months after the work was completed.

The actual sums that these two guys took just in paid booked hours amounted to iro E15,000 each and that is excluding all expenses, per diem, etc for 8 weeks work.

That’s iro ten grand Stirling. I don’t consider that a crap wage and I don’t think that to continue to claim benefits on that screw is the right thing to do. In fact I think it’s a dead liberty.

The whole thing only came to light after a call from the wife of one of them DEMANDING that I should pay for her old man to return to the UK mid contract to sign on or some such. That’s a risk that you take when you employ ex Plessey guys from Liverpool I guess.

Neither of them are now on my books and I fancy they will now be finding it VERY difficult to find similar contract work anywhere for some time to come.

The whole thing only came to light after a call from the wife of one of them DEMANDING that I should pay for her old man to return to the UK mid contract to sign on or some such.  That’s a risk that you take when you employ ex Plessey guys from Liverpool I guess. 

That is asking to be reported!

That’s iro ten grand Stirling. I don’t consider that a crap wage and I don’t think that to continue to claim benefits on that screw is the right thing to do. In fact I think it’s a dead liberty.

The whole thing only came to light after a call from the wife of one of them DEMANDING that I should pay for her old man to return to the UK mid contract to sign on or some such. That’s a risk that you take when you employ ex Plessey guys from Liverpool I guess.

They had an excellent wage and they still wanted to sign on, cheeky beggars.

I hope they got caught and had the book thrown at them.

Archived