Black Lives Matter

22 minutes ago, SJR said:

We are Manx or should be...Those who have recently entered our Island and have made a contribution are very welcome whatever creed or colour.Those that have washed ashore here and attack our way of life and call us racists  just because we do not agree with the new alleged normal can fuck off back to where they came from.And if someone on here wants me to reveal my true identity prepare to meet me ...pm me...

ARRRRRFFFFFFFFFF - Struggling to uncurl my toes 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

Have you got the Tweet, the person's name, or any other details or are we to take your word for it? ;)

Glenna Grant, it's really weird and I can't work out what's going on, is she really a medic? Is it propaganda? Or is it a publicity effort? Who knows? :) I couldn't remember her name last night.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thebees said:

Glenna Grant, it's really weird and I can't work out what's going on, is she really a medic? Is it propaganda? Or is it a publicity effort? Who knows? :) I couldn't remember her name last night.

Looks like she volunteers as a first aider after having 6 fairly low-key acting roles. Not much of a story really :)

59 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Weird, last time I saw these guys do a video (when they were just called HodgeTwins), they were very much centre-left. Sad to see that now they've gotten some money they're Trump supporters and spouting the same broken "pull yourselves up by the bootstraps" nonsense the rest of the Republican supporters are.

On 6/3/2020 at 1:23 PM, 2112 said:

As promoted on the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece today.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/black-lives-matter-protest-to-be-held-in-douglas/

I have no problem with this, and in principle is good to show solidarity. I am curious as to why it’s being held outside IOM Bank, a bit of an odd place to protest? Why not outside Tynpotwald? Let’s face it, our shower a racist personified - encourage and promote multi culturalism into the highest echelons of the Manx Establishment, yet can’t be arsed to give them a vote! I envisage some of our politicos jumping on the bandwagon, walk the walk but ain’t doing the talk, which is part of the course!

On the whole this island is relatively multi cultural and most people of religion,  creeds and nationality get along. There are some nasty and ignorant people on the island and as a whole are very much the minority. 

I only hope the words demonstration doesn’t get our CC salivating at the chance to use some force, or even try and arrest people for say, coronavirus offences, such as too many people protesting. 

I promise you the last thing Gary ever salivates about is an ‘chance to use some force’

This death was a tragedy. I hope there is a quiet demonstration of solidarity, and across the board, the whole agenda of intolerance, be it of race, creed, colour or a multitude of others, gains some momentum as a legacy. That needs addressing locally as much as globally. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What's the issue locally? 

There is underlying intolerance. I recall an incident where an indigenous Manx resident had refused to be served  by a ‘foreigner’ (Polish, I think)  in a cafe. We have the “boat in the morning” joshing, which might be seen as harmless but takes a lump out of people. Remember too the vitriolic intolerance of Homosexuality in living memory too. I’ve known visibly ethnic minority officers be abused too.

We do well, but let’s not kid ourselves we are perfect.

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Looks like she volunteers as a first aider after having 6 fairly low-key acting roles. Not much of a story really :)

Daaaaaar! That's what she wants you to think. Wouldn't volunteers be with a group, like St Johns Ambulance and wouldn't they have a proper badge? And what is an ENT (aside from an ear nose and throat consultant). You're not a detective and if you are... I'm Luther to your Marple old timer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

There is underlying intolerance. I recall an incident where an indigenous Manx resident had refused to be served  by a ‘foreigner’ (Polish, I think)  in a cafe. We have the “boat in the morning” joshing, which might be seen as harmless but takes a lump out of people. Remember too the vitriolic intolerance of Homosexuality in living memory too. I’ve known visibly ethnic minority officers be abused too.

We do well, but let’s not kid ourselves we are perfect.

There has been racism, sexism, and ableism and other minority isms within both the population at large and the Manx Police for years.

And as Derek points out it’s improving.

ive had direct experience professionally. I’ve contributed to police training. I’ve had to ask for the custody block to be made wheelchair accessible ( the pedestrian route didn’t have dropped kerbs ).

I used to do a little game in training. What year for the first in Manx advocates and IOM constabulary

Catholic

Female

Black

Jewish

Gay

Muslim

They're all within my lifetime, and one, at least hasn’t happened yet in both categories, and another hasn’t happened in one category.

There is frequent racism and homophobia ( casual and targeted ) on here. It doesn’t affect me as such. But it’s deeply depressing 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

The crime of potentially handing over a counterfeit $20 note?

No, the crime of being in possession of counterfeit US currency and the crime of attempting to pass counterfeit US currency then the crime of resisting arrest when first approached by the police in the store.