Black Lives Matter

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I agree on plasters, but the pink toned plasters do not really blend in on white skin,  admittedly they are less obvious on white skin than they are on darker skin.  I suppose it would be petty to mention blue plasters?

Blue plasters are there for food safety reasons though.  They are designed to be visible if they fell off and I am sure they also contain metal which can be picked up by scanners in food packaging environments. 

27 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's all down to demand. White or black, if there's sufficient demand then 100% there'd be a company out there making sure they benefit from that market. 

Is this perhaps down to cosmetics, and I know I might draw some criticism on this, more of a luxury item?  Perhaps those who work in lower paid jobs are more likely to prioritise "essentials"?  Perhaps a company might not want to invest in research and development for a product that may be too expensive for the targeted market?

I know feel that I am going to have to go an do some further research.

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The comment about the bread is just nonsense and you know it.

You have, however, in advertently stumbled across a sector which provides examples of 'white privilege'.

Many cosmetic products for women are specifically designed for white skin or white people with a tan.  Until recently I believe that there was little choice for black women when it came to products such as foundation, make-up, tights and even plasters that matched their skin tone. 

It was a bit of a shock to me to learn that this sector was overlooking a whole host of customers.

It was a joke, you silly bugger. 

• Like 2

A deal should be struck. If the Government introduce a law making the sale of differing shades of sticking plasters compulsory, will these people stop smashing up police cars and that and pulling down statues. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Now the Dixie Chicks have dropped the 'Dixie' from their name as it reminds some people of the Southern Republic. The Chicks from now on. That's not going to offend anyone...:unsure: 

You beat me to it Wrighty !

I think "chicks" is stretching reality a bit too. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Blue plasters are there for food safety reasons though.  They are designed to be visible if they fell off and I am sure they also contain metal which can be picked up by scanners in food packaging environments. I know!

Is this perhaps down to cosmetics, and I know I might draw some criticism on this, more of a luxury item?  Perhaps those who work in lower paid jobs are more likely to prioritise "essentials"?  Perhaps a company might not want to invest in research and development for a product that may be too expensive for the targeted market? 

I know feel that I am going to have to go an do some further research.

I am not sure it is that much of a luxury item because there is plenty in the lower price range,  unless you are on the streets, of course.   Most people seem to be able to afford a bit of lippy, even if it is nothing more than tinted lard!

I would suggest, subject to your research, that it is not the economic profile of the target market, but that it is not a product that most need.  TBH, it would be quite satisfying not to be a target of an exploitative industry. 

46 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The BBC and Channel 4 News last night (I don't know about ITV) really played down the violent attacks on police by black rioters again. They can hardly bring themselves to report it. No mention whatsoever of colour of course - that's only when it's far right white extremists. That's two nights now that they've played down these major disturbances with dozens of police getting injured. Channel 4 last night chose to lead with police racism or something. There has been creeping bias for years now but the BLM movement are getting a completely free ride on two of our major news channels at the moment, and it sticks out a mile. Their editorial and production teams have been completely taken over by the left liberal elite.  

Been a fact of life for decades, SMUJ. A very timely example of why we have debates on here like the one this week with people seriously asking: What problems? Where are these places? All brushed under the multicoloured liberal carpet. It very much reminds me of Radio Moscow in Soviet times which told the world about the efficiency of the communist system and how wonderful everything was for the people but never mentioned the bread queues or the secret police. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not sure it is that much of a luxury item because there is plenty in the lower price range,  unless you are on the streets, of course.   Most people seem to be able to afford a bit of lippy, even if it is nothing more than tinted lard!

I would suggest, subject to your research, that it is not the economic profile of the target market, but that it is not a product that most need.  TBH, it would be quite satisfying not to be a target of an exploitative industry. 

Some cosmetics that were once retailed at say £40 five years ago, are now available at a fiver or less. Now that might be because there's a lot of contraband entering the market (t'was ever thus) or more likely the price point was set too high in the first place. 

There are cosmetics for black people but I suspect it's just over-priced: https://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Makeup-for-Black-Skin/c/makeup-for-black-skin

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gettafa said:

A deal should be struck. If the Government introduce a law making the sale of differing shades of sticking plasters compulsory, will these people stop smashing up police cars and that and pulling down statues. 

I doubt it. The idiot fringe has now been given legitimacy by the hand wringing brigade so they are making the most of it. They don't need much encouragement. 

• Like 2

I'm concerned for the board games chess, draughts, and go too.

Can't possibly have a game pitting black against white (or white against black)

Thank goodness for chequered flags - black and white in harmony.

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I agree on plasters, but the pink toned plasters do not really blend in on white skin,  admittedly they are less obvious on white skin than they are on darker skin.  I suppose it would be petty to mention blue plasters?

blue plasters are for smurfs.

• Haha 3