Black Lives Matter

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There has been racism, sexism, and ableism and other minority isms within both the population at large and the Manx Police for years.

And as Derek points out it’s improving.

ive had direct experience professionally. I’ve contributed to police training. I’ve had to ask for the custody block to be made wheelchair accessible ( the pedestrian route didn’t have dropped kerbs ).

I used to do a little game in training. What year for the first in Manx advocates and IOM constabulary

Catholic

Female

Black

Jewish

Gay

Muslim

They're all within my lifetime, and one, at least hasn’t happened yet in both categories, and another hasn’t happened in one category.

There is frequent racism and homophobia ( casual and targeted ) on here. It doesn’t affect me as such. But it’s deeply depressing 

It's human nature.

Well done to the chaps on manx radio, hope Stu Peters never gets a mic infront of him again. Utter ignorance and as with so many people cant see his own prejudices. 

is there a hashtag or group for the protest ? i might go now.

Edited by TomTucker
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Weird, last time I saw these guys do a video (when they were just called HodgeTwins), they were very much centre-left. Sad to see that now they've gotten some money they're Trump supporters and spouting the same broken "pull yourselves up by the bootstraps" nonsense the rest of the Republican supporters are.

Sad to see how patronising you are. You really do believe that them folks can't think for theyselfs.

Maybe they can, and have arrived at a different conclusion to you? Maybe there are nuances you're unaware of? Or their life experiences aren't what CNN have told you?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

Sad to see how patronising you are. You really do believe that them folks can't think for theyselfs.

Maybe they can, and have arrived at a different conclusion to you? Maybe there are nuances you're unaware of? Or their life experiences aren't what CNN have told you?

Where did I suggest they didn't change their own minds on purpose? Or that they couldn't think for themselves? I think I quite clearly portrayed that I believe once they became rich they stopped giving a shit about the average person.

They did make that money by selling fitness programmes while claiming not to be taking steroids, while clearly taking steroids though. Which is a bit scummy.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

There has been racism, sexism, and ableism and other minority isms within both the population at large and the Manx Police for years.

And as Derek points out it’s improving.

ive had direct experience professionally. I’ve contributed to police training. I’ve had to ask for the custody block to be made wheelchair accessible ( the pedestrian route didn’t have dropped kerbs ).

I used to do a little game in training. What year for the first in Manx advocates and IOM constabulary

Catholic - late 70’s, early 60’s

Female - mid 80’s, early 70’s

Black - mid 2000’s, mid noughties

Jewish - mid 80’s, not yet?

Gay - for both probably forever, but never came out

Muslim - not yet?, not yet?

They're all within my lifetime, and one, at least hasn’t happened yet in both categories, and another hasn’t happened in one category.

There is frequent racism and homophobia ( casual and targeted ) on here. It doesn’t affect me as such. But it’s deeply depressing 

I am going to give this a go, if that is all right John, the first answer relates to advocates, the second to Police (see above). I am probably way off the mark in all areas, but would be interested in the correct answers.

7 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I am going to give this a go, if that is all right John, the first answer relates to advocates, the second to Police (see above). I am probably way off the mark in all areas, but would be interested in the correct answers.

Catholic - 1954, early 70’s

Female - 1974, early 70’s

Black - 2005,  mid 80’s. Finished training but didn’t take up constable role

Jewish - mid 80’s, not yet

Gay - for both probably forever, but never came out. Probably true.

Muslim - not yet. not yet.

it was an interesting exercise to show how recent integration was and that whilst we’ve come a long way there is still a way to go.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

John's little game only tells half the story. I think Gary is the first Manx Chief Constable for instance. The Manx have suffered discrimination in their own Island for years too. It has as much to do with politics, class, history and culture as any of the categories above.

Yes, and I explored that, and promotional glass ceilings for policewomen. 

I used to tease about translation facilities by enquiring who could conduct  an interview in Manx, and what translators they had available. I’ve had to advise in French because there was only one translator, and they were advising the police. In fact their french was so poor that it was meaningless. Case of a TT visitor being made to undergo an intoximeter breath test and not being warned about the consequences of not blowing. Took 20 hours to get the tape and listen and be able to get the police to get a second interpreter in, who told them in no uncertain terms. My guy released.

I tried to explore how recently the Manx police and bar had been an homogenous white, male, Protestant and Masonic organisation. Some thought never.

• Like 1