Black Lives Matter

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I know, having lived in Leicester for a few years. 

The company named is registered at Companies House and is controlled by the Jaswal family. 

There are numerous rag trade factories in the East End of London and in many areas of the North West.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

How is that possible with minimum wage?

Many illegals looking for subsistence money. Can't complain, can't work legally anywhere else. Exploitation... 

Edited by quilp
Just saw Dangler's post. Correct...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's totally scandalous, been going on for decades and local authorities all around the country have done nothing about it, being fully aware of what's going on. It's the same with 'caste' slavery in the UK. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/dalits-indian-caste-discrimination-britain-uk-modern-slavery-33842/amp

Edited by quilp
  • Like 2

It is scandalous and you have to wonder if the sweatshops are also fed by human trafficking. I am pretty sure they are.

You also have to question your own ethics, when you can buy goods for way under a reasonable price, yet many do. I can understand why, especially younger people, but a stylish dress from an online shop for less than £20? Surely you have to wonder how they can afford those prices?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

It is scandalous and you have to wonder if the sweatshops are also fed by human trafficking. I am pretty sure they are.

You also have to question your own ethics, when you can buy goods for way under a reasonable price, yet many do. I can understand why, especially younger people, but a stylish dress from an online shop for less than £20? Surely you have to wonder how they can afford those prices?  

I'm surprised anyone is surprised. 

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

Sharia rules in those parts. You just ignore anything else. 

Rag trade sweatshops have been a thing in Britain since at least the 70s.But really for at least 100 years or more before that.

It stopped being reported as an issue after the Thatcher govt abolished the remaining Wages Councils. Because there were no longer minimum wages in specific trades. It's only an issue again now because Labour brought in a national minimum wages across all trades.

It's absolutely nothing to do with "sharia" per se - many of the the areas where the rag trade was based have previously been predominately Jewish, Bangladeshi, cor-blimey and Chinese. The rag trade is colour blind.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pongo said:

Rag trade sweatshops have been a thing in Britain since at least the 70s.But really for at least 100 years or more before that.

It stopped being reported as an issue after the Thatcher govt abolished the remaining wages councils. Because there were no longer minimum wages in specific trades. It's only an issue again now because Labour brought in a national minimum wages across all trades.

It's absolutely nothing to do with "sharia" per se - many of the the areas where the rag trade was based have previously been predominately Jewish, Bangladeshi, cor-blimey, Chinese . The rag trade is colour blind.

This seems to be Hindi. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pongo said:

It stopped being reported as an issue after the Thatcher govt abolished the remaining Wages Councils. Because there were no longer minimum wages in specific trades. It's only an issue again now because Labour brought in a national minimum wages across all trades.

It's absolutely nothing to do with "sharia" per se - many of the the areas where the rag trade was based have previously been predominately Jewish, Bangladeshi, cor-blimey and Chinese. The rag trade is colour blind.

Yes. The point was a general one. I know this is correct. All kinds of ethnicities run businesses and routinely ignore UK employment law. My mother was a seamstress and she worked for Jews for many years off the books, cash in hand. The last one she worked for was in the 60s. His name, appropriately, was Con. My only surprise, as I said, is that people are surprised.