Black Lives Matter

Sorry to change tack slightly but is anyone else fed up of seeing this black athlete Bianca Williams on the news whose car was stopped by the police in London. Absolutely no one on the BBC or Channel 4 (Can't speak for any other channels) is saying: 'All you had to do love was get out of the f**king car'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

where?

One of the biggest employers on the island that I'm not going to name plus many self employed people when all the unchargable hours are taken into account. I probably fall into that bracket if I was to add up all the work I do for 'free'

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Shares in Boo hoo have fallen dramatically since this story came out .

No they haven’t. A chart to close of business today is on the page before. They’re up after a correction as you can see. More uncomfortable facts. They may well come off over the next few days though. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

No they haven’t. A chart to close of business today is on the page before. They’re up after a correction as you can see. More uncomfortable facts. They may well come off over the next few days though. 

If the shares fall it will be because everyone who has them is worried about everyone else who has them selling at the same time and forcing the price down. There might also be the odd one who is genuinely disgusted at these revelations.

39 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Ahem

Shares in Boohoo slumped by 23% to 297p on Monday, the first day since allegations about its supply chain came to light, as investors digested the potential impact of the revelations. The share slump knocked £1.1bn off Boohoo’s value on the AIM market in London, reducing it to £3.7bn.

They're slightly below the level they were at in January:

image.png.934d3149843349dc44d82e993d11389e.png

but have lost all the gains they made for doing so well during the Covid crisis.

It also appears that the Sunday Times got it wrong and Jaswal Fashions said: “Someone is using our name under false pretences. We ceased trading two years ago. We don’t do anything there, don’t work from there.”.  Which makes you wonder how rigorous BooHoo was with its suppliers' work practices when they didn't even know what their name was.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

where?

I've worked for less than minimum wage at times, when I've put in a price that has been too low. I just accept it, I needed the work and it had to be done. Better than nothing.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ahem

They're slightly below the level they were at in January:

image.png.934d3149843349dc44d82e993d11389e.png

but have lost all the gains they made for doing so well during the Covid crisis.

It also appears that the Sunday Times got it wrong and Jaswal Fashions said: “Someone is using our name under false pretences. We ceased trading two years ago. We don’t do anything there, don’t work from there.”.  Which makes you wonder how rigorous BooHoo was with its suppliers' work practices when they didn't even know what their name was.

That company does seem to be in not great shape, but someone is manufacturing for Boohoo at the premises it would appear.  The company accounts show ave. 3 employees for 2019, nil for 2018. 

.....but the co. accounts are not going to show the true employees numbers are they?

Gladys, you know more about co. a/cs than i do but don't these co.s change hands quite frequently, usually within the wider family or local business community, often a wedding gift, to get the young couple started, even things out?

If the writing is on the wall, selling to an 'outsider' rids the owner of a coming liability and the new owner knows  they have a limited time to make it work before the collapse and pays appropriately? This new owner is possibly more corrupt, more ruthless that the original owner???

As you say, who is to blame, the seller or the consumer?

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.....but the co. accounts are not going to show the true employees numbers are they?

Gladys, you know more about co. a/cs than i do but don't these co.s change hands quite frequently, usually within the wider family or local business community, often a wedding gift, to get the young couple started, even things out?

If the writing is on the wall, selling to an 'outsider' rids the owner of a coming liability and the new owner knows  they have a limited time to make it work before the collapse and pays appropriately? This new owner is possibly more corrupt, more ruthless that the original owner???

As you say, who is to blame, the seller or the consumer?

It depends what you mean by true employees.  If,  as indicated in the Times report, it was illegal (didn't say how) they will hardly report the true number of employees.  There again, if it is legal it may be they are classed as casual labour so may not be reportable.  I am not an accountant, so I couldn't say with certainty. 

With regard to selling the company, I don't know, but you have to remember that a company is only the wrapping round a business and you have to make the distinction between the two. It may be more likely that the assets are passed on/sold without the attendant liabilities, certainly a bona fide buyer may prefer to buy the underlying business assets rather than the company which could have all kinds of hidden liabilities and claims outstanding against it. 

It is also possible that the reported company when it ceased trading vacated the premises (which are not shown as an asset, so were probably leased) and left company insignia behind.  Then some unscrupulous tenant,  or even squatter business, moves in so it looks like it is the original business that is still trading,  but is not. 

Despite all that, the assertion from the report was that whatever was going on there was not legal, contravened CV regulations and was paying way below the minimum wage.  In other words, modern slavery which, TBH, I find infinitely more abhorrent than passive or latent racism, although I do accept that solving the slavery/people trafficking issue has huge race dynamics, part of which is latent or passive racism. 

I still wonder why the death of 30 odd Vietnamese in a container in Grays was not met with more outrage and demands for change, yet is not an aspect that is very high on the BLM agenda. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Appriciate that Gladys, we could introduce a racial aspect into this area of Asian business? but better not??? Thanks.

There is a racial element, I am sure of that.  But, there is also an exploitative element which transcends race. In the Vietnamese case, the family of one of the people in that container paid a reported £30,000 for their daughter to get into the UK illegally.  That is a huge amount of money and it is mind-boggling to understand why the family would pay that amount to basically have their daughter exported to the UK. 

WTF, was going on in Vietnam? Did they pay it or were they indebted to the enablers? And where is the Irish connection? No doubt we will find out when they come to trial, but I suspect there may have been some easing of conscience based in the money to be made and the race of their cargo. 

Just an awful, awful situation.  But it is going on all the time. 

• Like 2

It is in such places as were shown in Leicester that illegals get their money other than running drugs and Leicester is far from being the only town and city that this is happening. Slum employment with pay in cash is widespread in "the colonies" that have sprung up in several parts of the UK also provide employment to add to the HUGE Benefits those "legally" in the UK receive, in many cases where multiple claims are being made, and worse yet paid, to the black workforce.