Black Lives Matter

I just read an interesting statistic on FB of all places. 

During the recent Austrian F1 GP, 100% of the black drivers were given grid penalties before the race. 0% of the white drivers received the same penalty? Following the race, 100% of black drivers were penalised with a time penalty whilst 0% of the white drivers were. And people deny that there is white privilege?

Of course it's a silly statistic but aren't statistics all silly when trying to deal with perceptions of racism? Surely numbers give a much clearer picture?

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

During the recent Austrian F1 GP, 100% of the black drivers were given grid penalties before the race. 0% of the white drivers received the same penalty? Following the race, 100% of black drivers were penalised with a time penalty whilst 0% of the white drivers were. And people deny that there is white privilege?

Of course it's a silly statistic but aren't statistics all silly when trying to deal with perceptions of racism? Surely numbers give a much clearer picture?

You have to understand how to use data to create the statistics.

As such this isn't a statistic, not enough data.

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

One black driver - Hamilton - so the FB spin, while worthy, misses the glaring fact that virtually everyone involved in F1 is white

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boo Gay'n said:

One black driver - Hamilton - so the FB spin, while worthy, misses the glaring fact that virtually everyone involved in F1 is white

Yes, precisely the point which they seem to want to address. I think they need to go back to the basic points, how many black people are interested in F1 and what is it that puts off the others? It will come back as white privilege I would think, which then begs the question, how do you change that, particularly when there is a six time reigning world champion who is black? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

It's a fiercely competitive sport so what matters is ability. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

What were the reactions?

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Yes, precisely the point which they seem to want to address. I think they need to go back to the basic points, how many black people are interested in F1 and what is it that puts off the others? It will come back as white privilege I would think, which then begs the question, how do you change that, particularly when there is a six time reigning world champion who is black? 

I am sure we discussed this elsewhere...

There are many barriers to becoming an F1 driver.  You need to have an interest in motorsports at a young age (typically karting), you need parents who are willing and able to dedicate the time and money to supporting this hobby.  You also need to have driving talent which can translate from karting into other forms of racing.  You may also need contacts within racing in order to be able to find out how to enter, the rules etc etc.  Then consider how many "seats" are available in F1.  Something like 25?  Plus some back up and test drivers.

So you have to have parents who can afford the time and money to get you started, you have to have the natural talent and you have to be lucky enough to become 1 of about 25 people.  Unless of course you are from a very wealthy family and your parents (or you) can obtain a "pay to drive" contract with a smaller team.

Consider then that many people from BAME communities are often working class and you can immediately see why F1 does not have many BAME drivers.  Of course there are also an awful lot of white working class people who are excluded for the same reason but statistically speaking more people from the BAME community are excluded.

Let's face it F1 racing is not an easy career path that guarantees riches.  You have to be very talented, very dedicated, and very lucky to make it.  For the majority of the worlds population it is never going to be a realistic option. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I am sure we discussed this elsewhere...

There are many barriers to becoming an F1 driver.  You need to have an interest in motorsports at a young age (typically karting), you need parents who are willing and able to dedicate the time and money to supporting this hobby.  You also need to have driving talent which can translate from karting into other forms of racing.  You may also need contacts within racing in order to be able to find out how to enter, the rules etc etc.  Then consider how many "seats" are available in F1.  Something like 25?  Plus some back up and test drivers.

So you have to have parents who can afford the time and money to get you started, you have to have the natural talent and you have to be lucky enough to become 1 of about 25 people.  Unless of course you are from a very wealthy family and your parents (or you) can obtain a "pay to drive" contract with a smaller team.

Consider then that many people from BAME communities are often working class and you can immediately see why F1 does not have many BAME drivers.  Of course there are also an awful lot of white working class people who are excluded for the same reason but statistically speaking more people from the BAME community are excluded.

Let's face it F1 racing is not an easy career path that guarantees riches.  You have to be very talented, very dedicated, and very lucky to make it.  For the majority of the worlds population it is never going to be a realistic option. 

I think this extends to team members, officials etc etc. There don't appear to be many black people involved in the organisation. I say specifically black because there are many Asians involved in the sport.

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Are we not looking at a bit of a culture thing here too though? There are many branches of motorsport not all of them in the financial realms of F1 and relatively affordable. Yet how many black competitors participate in affordable motorsport?

Could it not just be the case that motorsport is simply not traditionally of interest to the majority of the black community?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rog said:

It's a fiercely competitive sport so what matters is ability. 

This is one of those well-worn tropes that justifies a lack of diversity in many areas.  No doubt the judiciary, senior armed forces roles, senior police roles and senior roles in the arts (to name a few) are also fiercely competitive?

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Is this a joke? A little light-hearted relief perhaps, from the travails of inequality, inequity, discrimination and rampant sexism? I couldn't think of another thread on which to post it but maybe it's a fine example of how our thinking is changing. Or, more likely, another peep at just how right-on and ridiculous the Guardian is becoming.

Laugh if you dare... :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

This is one of those well-worn tropes that justifies a lack of diversity in many areas.  No doubt the judiciary, senior armed forces roles, senior police roles and senior roles in the arts (to name a few) are also fiercely competitive?

Yes,but there's different abilities required in different jobs.  Races are not equal in strengths and weaknesses. In this country it's not a person's race that determines how high up the tree he or she can climb, it's ability combined with inate characteristics and these are determined by both nature and nurture.

28 minutes ago, quilp said:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/06/upward-thrusting-buildings-ejaculating-cities-sexist-leslie-kern-phallic-feminist-city-toxic-masculinity

Is this a joke? A little light-hearted relief perhaps, from the travails of inequality, inequity, discrimination and rampant sexism? I couldn't think of another thread on which to post it but maybe it's a fine example of how our thinking is changing. Or, more likely, another peep at just how right-on and ridiculous the Guardian is becoming.

Laugh if you dare... :rolleyes::lol:

I read that, I tend to read the Guardian, their football coverage is great and their mobile app just works better than all the others, but fucking hell some of their opinion pieces are just MENTAL.