Black Lives Matter

1 hour ago, Declan said:

He's done it in response to people trying to discredit him, calling him a militant and saying that there isn't a problem.  Doesn't he have a right to disagree with those people?

I think it's ironic that you have bent over backwards to discredit all anti-racist action and anti-racists in this thread. Only the other day you posted a meme about a BLM guy being charged with something - but there was no evidence he was convicted. Here you are saying Hamilton's critics should have free reign to attack him and he should just be quiet?

As PK has said, the 'educate yourself' stock answer is annoying and is used to put down anyone who questions any aspect of BLM. It's becoming very fascist like, do as we say and agree with us or you are a racist. BLM does not care about black lives, it's making life worse for them through its actions and creating enemies which black people didn't have before.

I posted the meme and a counter to that meme, I already explained why. 

I don't agree with the BLM organisation or its methods, I do agree that black lives matter. I am not racist and I will not be preached at just because I happen to be white. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

the 'educate yourself' stock answer is annoying and is used to put down anyone who questions any aspect of BLM

Is it?

There seems to be a lot of claims like this going on in this thread. "Anyone who speaks out against BLM is hounded out of their job." "Anyone who speaks out against BLM is told to educate themselves". "Anyone who doesn't take the knee is called racist."

I'm not sure any of those statements is accurate.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I am not racist and I will not be preached at just because I happen to be white. 

I am not a racist and I'm white and I've not been preached at by anti-racists.

You are totally overreacting to the mildest of comments.

Black man says "I've experienced racism"; White man "I've seen no racism"; Black man "then perhaps need to take the time to hear from those that have." And you have a problem with that?

I've been wanting to ask you something throughout this thread, but I've been afraid it will trigger you. But what the heck! You've lived through a period where the perception of racism has changed enormously. I'm thinking you've been adult since the 70's (sorry if that's wrong). So how did you feel about all the campaigns and changes that happened then? Did you support the Race Relations Act? Did you think it was wrong that landlords could refuse to rent to non-white tenants? Did you go to Rock Against Racism gigs?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Black man says "I've experienced racism"; White man "I've seen no racism"; Black man "then perhaps need to take the time to hear from those that have." And you have a problem with that?

It surprises me that people take issue with this. I don't think any man would deny that they're largely unaware of the amount of harassment/abuse women get going about their daily lives. I wonder why it's not as intuitive for race.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

I am not a racist and I'm white and I've not been preached at by anti-racists.

You are totally overreacting to the mildest of comments.

I have a problem with the fact that the Black man could be a racist....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

Somebody says they've been robbed; do you start by assuming they're a thief?

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Depends, what colour are they?

"A black man running...he must have stolen something"

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

Somebody says they've been robbed; do you start by assuming they're a thief?

If they're wearing a mask, stripey jersey and carrying a sack with "SWAG" written on it I will start thinking about what those visual signals mean.

As you do....

24 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If they're wearing a mask, stripey jersey and carrying a sack with "SWAG" written on it I will start thinking about what those visual signals mean.

As you do....

So if a Black Man (in this example under discussion Lewis Hamilton) says he's experienced racism, you start from the position that he could be a racist, because of what aspect of his appearance?

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Who gives a shit what Lewis Hamilton thinks. A multi-millionaire tax dodger and F1 boy racer. What does he know about anything apart from driving round and round in circles very fast ?  

Do you know things that aren't to do with your vocation? I would presume so. I would presume most people do, really.