Black Lives Matter

P.C. Andrew Harper verdict brought in today. Three teenagers guilty of murder manslaughter. If P.C. Harper had been black they'd have been convicted of murder. There were attempts to intimidate the jury. The courts are playing political correctness because they're from the traveller community. Say it ain't so...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

P.C. Andrew Harper verdict brought in today. Three teenagers guilty of murder manslaughter. If P.C. Harper had been black they'd have been convicted of murder. There were attempts to intimidate the jury. The courts are playing political correctness because they're from the traveller community. Say it ain't so...

I have not read the reports, but I find it hard to understand how dragging someone along by a car for a mile(!) can be anything but murder? Surely as soon as you realised you had hit them, by continuing you had intended to kill them , or were at least reckless as to whether your actions would lead to their death. 

Not sure I agree that the race of the PC had much to do with it, though. 

41 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Well let me put it another way for you Gladys. Can you imagine the backlash if three white youths had done that to a black man and got away with manslaughter ?

That is a hard one.  Remember Lee Rigby?  That was ordinary soldier killed by Islamic terrorists, not white soldier killed by two black men. 

I suppose it is down to the motivation.  Was the motivation of the youths anything to do with the race of the PC, or was it that they wanted to get away with the crime they were committing?  

Was the ritual execution of Lee Rigby to do with race or religious extremism?

As soon as you introduce race into any situation,  the debate becomes harder, much more nuanced. 

For the record, if there is any group of people I always view with suspicion, it is "travellers", whatever "race" they may call themselves.  Travellers are not gypsies of the Romany lineage, but opportunistic exploiters who have hidden under the cover of "Romany" to create an alternative society mostly involved in anti-social, nay criminal, behaviour.  I have seen many examples.

If I had to choose, I would rather live in a "POC" neighbourhood than amongst travellers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are a group calling for education on black issues in our schools.  I am perfectly happy for racial awareness and issues to be covered under the curriculum, in fact, I think it is a good thing, much as I agree that religious instruction, if it has to be a school subject, teaches about all faiths.  But I am not happy for a group which does not identify itself, its objectives or how it is funded getting support from MHKs when they are not clear about who they are.  

Of course, it is yet another bandwagon to jump on as a MHK, and in doing so gives credibility to this unknown group.  

Still not getting any answer about who gave them their commission. (I suspect I never will because they are not a commission, but it sounds good, eh?)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Still not getting any answer about who gave them their commission. (I suspect I never will because they are not a commission, but it sounds good, eh?)

Well anyone can commission themselves to do something.  (I suspect they just thought it sounded more dynamic than 'committee').  Though you would hope that calling themselves a commission would mean they were open to hearing evidence from others.

54 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well anyone can commission themselves to do something.  (I suspect they just thought it sounded more dynamic than 'committee').  Though you would hope that calling themselves a commission would mean they were open to hearing evidence from others.

Commission implies that they have been given some kind of authority and remit, but what and by whom?

I am going to set up a group called The Gladys Commission to call out the Emperor's New Clothes of these groups, which do nothing to tackle racism, patronise POC (who are completely unable to promote themselves, of course) and tackle white middle class millennial privilege.  Who's in?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Commission implies that they have been given some kind of authority and remit, but what and by whom?

I am going to set up a group called The Gladys Commission to call out the Emperor's New Clothes of these groups, which do nothing to tackle racism, patronise POC (who are completely unable to promote themselves, of course) and tackle white middle class millennial privilege.  Who's in?

Count me in!

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

What a load of hypothetical tosh!

On 7/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

Well let me put it another way for you Gladys. Can you imagine the backlash if three white youths had done that to a black man and got away with manslaughter ?

Wiki....Murder of James Byrd Jr.

Led to new anti racist legislation in the States.

Murder, deliberate.  Manslaughter, unintended consequence.