Black Lives Matter

2 minutes ago, prism10 said:

Is Amir Pars actually black or Asian?

Is he based in Britain or America?

He sounds like one of these conservatives who deflects the debate with whatabouterism.

https://thinklab.com/AmirPars_

I think he's just putting some context into it by drawing comparisons from sources which he quotes Prism? I have no idea where he is from or based, although he seems proud of calling out George Galloway?

Whatever Stu Peters actually thinks on he subject of race and, indeed, whether he is a racist or not, his handling of the debate and response to the questions and statements from the callers was clumsy and ill-judged. However, one of the dangers posed by the so-called Woke Generation is their apparent inability to debate rationally or even accept that a debate exists. There is a tendency to react to any factual analysis or differing opinion with denunciation, accusation and emotion. Whilst racism is a scourge, so is the inability to accept freedom of expression and the need to allow differing opinions, even when they may be wrong, to be discussed;  the latter is likely to do more harm to humanity than the views or professionalism of any radio presenter.

Edited by joebean
typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, joebean said:

Whatever Stu Peters actually thinks on he subject of race and, indeed, whether he is a racist or not, his handling of the debate and response to the questions and statements from the callers was clumsy and ill-judged. However, one of the dangers posed by the so-called Woke Generation is their apparent inability to debate rationally or even accept that a debate exists. There is a tendency to react to any factual analysis or differing opinion with denunciation, accusation and emotion. Whilst racism is a scourge, so is the inability to accept freedom of expression and the need to allow differing opinions, even when they may be wrong, to be discussed;  the latter is likely to do more harm to humanity than the views or professionalism of any radio presenter.

As typified by the "no platforming" of speakers who do not conform to the narrow view of acceptability laid down by the so-called liberals who seem to hold sway on and around campuses and censor what can and cannot be heard. No open minds there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

In response to that large text post, I'm not going to pick it all apart but two things that sprung out while reading the first few points:

1. People aren't protesting individuals killing individuals. They're protesting the State, or someone acting on behalf of, killed an individual.

2. "But how many of you have heard of Daniel Shaver? A white man who was showing his friends a scoped air rife used to exterminate birds who entered his store, and was killed for this?" Actually, I do recall the Daniel Shaver shooting. And I sadly recall the video in detail. He was shot for reaching for his belt (probably to pull his shorts up) while crawling along the floor. I'm not sure if the author of the post is deliberately misrepresenting this, or is mistaken.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes HeliX, I'm not sure on that case, I think he was pointing out that he was shot because he was seen demonstrating the air rifle, not the seconds leading up to the actual shooting?  

This article states that too many Americans are shot by the police, black and white. https://time.com/4404987/police-violence/

You'll get no disagreement out of me there - American police are needlessly violent.

4 hours ago, joebean said:

However, one of the dangers posed by the so-called Woke Generation is their apparent inability to debate rationally or even accept that a debate exists. There is a tendency to react to any factual analysis or differing opinion with denunciation, accusation and emotion

I don't think you can pinpoint that just on anyone people might label as a "woke generation" (a name which has been created just to lazily and quickly close down any debate). You can probably pin that on most people of all ages. Just look at all the Mail and Express readers for example - mainly middle aged to elderly and THE worst people to try and have any form of rational or factual debate with.

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

This is a tweet from a black man named Amir Pars. He names his sources but I haven't copied them, you only need to follow him on Twitter to see them if you wish.

Post of the week Max. Puts everything into perspective. It just won’t appease those that want to jump on the outraged bandwagon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rcostain said:

I don't think you can pinpoint that just on anyone people might label as a "woke generation" (a name which has been created just to lazily and quickly close down any debate). You can probably pin that on most people of all ages. Just look at all the Mail and Express readers for example - mainly middle aged to elderly and THE worst people to try and have any form of rational or factual debate with.

That’s probably true; the difference being that those people just won’t listen, they won’t be denying anybody the right to say what they think. We appear to be in an age where all the freedoms we have cherished in the past are now only being regarded as sacrosanct if they are convenient or fashionable. Racism has never been in fashion or acceptable but it is there to be discussed. 

• Like 5