Black Lives Matter

39 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

You say many wise things, but the bit about travellers is the best yet. Having had a few run ins with them I couldn't agree more.

See the reports today about their attitude to covid and the massive input of help given to a group of them by the local authority.

A friend of mine had a motorhome stolen in the UK, all on CCTV and well organised, towed away with the alarm going off in the middle of a city. The police knew who it was, they knew where the vehicle was, but wouldn't go onto the gypsy site to get it back. The insurance company were not very impressed but what could they do! They are shits and the police are scared of them. 

Have a look at this, I heard from someone who is in the know that the affair was a lot worse than reported...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-44288992

Edited by Max Power
  • Thanks 1

Some people ultimately got jailed for that.

Also, there was a theory that the brewery wanted it to happen so they could advance plans to demolish it. But thats one of those pub style stories. Been demolished and sold now though...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

A friend of mine had a motorhome stolen in the UK, all on CCTV and well organised, towed away with the alarm going off in the middle of a city. The police knew who it was, they knew where the vehicle was, but wouldn't go onto the gypsy site to get it back. The insurance company were not very impressed but what could they do! 

Probably not gypsies, but "travellers".   

Where I lived for a long time in South London many years ago, there were many permanent traveller sites.  One of the favoured activities would be to arrange early morning trots on major roads, including the M25!  They would flog two wheel, horse drawn trotting carts up and down the road.  No regard for the other users of the road or the animals, unless it was a good horse, of course. Never an arrest made as I can remember. 

Lots of other stuff, like pretty open theft, scamming, usually vulnerable victims, harassment, extortion and so on. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Some people ultimately got jailed for that.

Also, there was a theory that the brewery wanted it to happen so they could advance plans to demolish it. But thats one of those pub style stories. Been demolished and sold now though...

The new brewery was on the point of being commissioned I was told?

I recommend anyone who doesn’t support the equality and inclusion aims of BLM or doubts white privilege, and the level of discrimination that does exist, to watch Antony Walker on catchup. TV dramatisation of a true story. The Jimmy McGovern screen play and story telling device is powerful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I recommend anyone who doesn’t support the equality and inclusion aims of BLM or doubts white privilege, and the level of discrimination that does exist, to watch Antony Walker on catchup. TV dramatisation of a true story. The Jimmy McGovern screen play and story telling device is powerful.

Yes apparently the screenplay by a white 70 year old man really captures what it’s like to be young black and violently killed. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My understanding was that it wasn't a true story but an imagined dramatisation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

My understanding was that it wasn't a true story but an imagined dramatisation. 

It's an imagined dramatisation of the life Anthony Walker could have lived had he not been killed in a racist attack at 18.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

It's an imagined dramatisation of the life Anthony Walker could have lived had he not been killed in a racist attack at 18.

That seems to me a strange subject to dramatise.

But then with no play yesterday in the Third Test against the Windies because of the Manchester Monsoon the Beeb replaced it with "Celebrity Antiques Roadshow" thus showing a complete lack of understanding of today's cricket fan.

For a start there wasn't a single Beer Snake....!