Black Lives Matter

39 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I want to be in Gladys' gang. Although she's clearly a girl so can't realistically be in charge. She can be the gang's secretary though, and be responsible for getting the fizzy pop.

I also have a nifty trick with a couple of bricks!

• Haha 5

For those of you who want to better understand racism (in the US at least) John Oliver's show from this week is once again worth  watch. The whole show isn't on youtube so you should torrent it for his short piece on the Trump Virus response, but just the bit about US history is up and you can watch it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Results of the Island Global Research equality survey. You need to download the document. 

https://www.islandglobalresearch.com/news

No real surprises I don't think? 9% identified as BAME, 88% as white, 2% didn't know. It seems more white people see a problem and support BLM, is this white guilt? 

Edited by Max Power

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Results of the Island Global Research equality survey. You need to download the document. 

No real surprises I don't think? 9% identified as BAME, 88% as white, 2% didn't know. It seems more white people see a problem and support BLM, is this white guilt? 

Hardly conclusive research is it. just over a thousand people could be bothered. 

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No real surprises I don't think?

The trouble with surveys is that they are only representative of people who participate in them. I certainly CBA filling out any forms or whatever. But the people who are bothered will.

Incidentally, the thing that kicked off the @Stu Peters thing on the Isle of Man, was him making a post that the BLM marches were sparked off by an incident that happened in USA, thousands of miles away and he was questioning what relevance it had here. It was a reasonable question to ask.

I see in a response to a Manx Radio interview about young people spitting at police, a reference was made to a change of attitudes towards the police as a result of what happened in America. :.."policing in America and policing in the Isle of Man is two completely different things, completely different society and the way that we police..."

The police on the Isle of Man are getting a hard time on the back of something that happened in USA. Maybe, in line with the IoM's strict policy on Covid-19 the march should have been stopped here, but I suppose it is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think they did a really weird job of communicating the report, so much so that they accidentally buried the most surprising and interesting result: that self-identified Black, Asian, etc., respondents on the Isle of Man broadly identified racism as less of a problem than the white respondents did.

82% of all respondents thought that "a little, some, or a great deal of racism exists" on IOM. Only 60% of "Black, Asian, etc." did.

32% of all respondents thought "our island has already made the changes to give all racial and ethnic groups equal rights" but 50% of Black, Asian, etc., respondents thought that.

(For what it's worth, this data is perfectly in line with my anecdotal experience - various local/Manx/white people telling me that the island is terribly racist, and me & migrant friends strongly disagreeing and thinking that the IOM is an incredibly welcoming and loving place to people.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Josem said:

I think they did a really weird job of communicating the report, so much so that they accidentally buried the most surprising and interesting result: that self-identified Black, Asian, etc., respondents on the Isle of Man broadly identified racism as less of a problem than the white respondents did.

82% of all respondents thought that "a little, some, or a great deal of racism exists" on IOM. Only 60% of "Black, Asian, etc." did.

32% of all respondents thought "our island has already made the changes to give all racial and ethnic groups equal rights" but 50% of Black, Asian, etc., respondents thought that.

(For what it's worth, this data is perfectly in line with my anecdotal experience - various local/Manx/white people telling me that the island is terribly racist, and me & migrant friends strongly disagreeing and thinking that the IOM is an incredibly welcoming and loving place to people.)

And that is exactly my experience too! There will always be one or two idiots about but there are laws to deal with them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Josem said:

what it's worth, this data is perfectly in line with my anecdotal experience - various local/Manx/white people telling me that the island is terribly racist, and me & migrant friends strongly disagreeing and thinking that the IOM is an incredibly welcoming and loving place to people.)

But that's not what the data says? It says 60% of non-caucasian respondents said there's racism. I'd hardly call it buried either, it's one of the very first large statistics in the document!

Interesting that we had so many responses compared to Jersey.

• Like 1