Black Lives Matter

29 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Racism is just another form of bullying, bullies are generally weak minded individuals trying desperately to hide their own insecurities/issues. 

Outside of the football frenzy issues this is a common belief but one unfortunately one that undermines the process of the abuse of power and influence and wealth.

Bullies commonly use their position with the concepts of immunity ( will not come to any harm themselves from those higher up the chain because they do the same things and told me to do it anyway) and immunity (even if it comes to light no-one will do anything about it on behalf of the victims). Bullying is about safety in the knowledge of getting away with it.

I do it because I can. The 'best' bullies I have met are some of the strongest minded individuals encountered. Clever, well-educated, skilled manipulators, charismatic. And people will emulate them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why is it that mindless and ignorant rants about the three English penalty takers are termed racism?

Surely if three white English players had been chosen to take the penalties, with similar results, there would have been similar mindless and ignorant rants?

"Social" Media has a lot to answer for, for making abuse far too easy.

Go back a few years, and there was similar abuse, but not then called racist for some reason...

"For years after his infamous penalty miss at Euro 96, Gareth Southgate was abused in the street"

"Beckham said: 'I made a mistake in '98 and the reaction at the time was pretty brutal.' But he added: ''If social media was around when I was going through that time in '98 it would have been a whole different story.'"

6 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Why is it that mindless and ignorant rants about the three English penalty takers are termed racism?

Surely if three white English players had been chosen to take the penalties, with similar results, there would have been similar mindless and ignorant rants?

"Social" Media has a lot to answer for, for making abuse far too easy.

Go back a few years, and there was similar abuse, but not then called racist for some reason...

"For years after his infamous penalty miss at Euro 96, Gareth Southgate was abused in the street"

"Beckham said: 'I made a mistake in '98 and the reaction at the time was pretty brutal.' But he added: ''If social media was around when I was going through that time in '98 it would have been a whole different story.'"

They're literaly being called 'n*gger' and getting monkey stuff sent to them.  Honestly, pay attention if you're going to comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Well it’s termed racism because the insults are slurs about their skin colour , I’ve previously been told by a black person ‘well you aren’t black, so you wouldn’t understand what it’s like’ which really pisses me off because the fact I’m not black suddenly gets thrown in my face, yes I’ve never had an insult about my skin tone but I’ve had comments about other things to do with my appearance, because that’s unfortunately what some people do, they’ll highlight whatever difference they see compared to themselves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

They're literaly being called 'n*gger' and getting monkey stuff sent to them.  Honestly, pay attention if you're going to comment.

Nigg** used to be used more as a term of affection once upon a time. Why else would Guy Gibson have given his dog that name? My father called himself one of them in a postcard home once, after he had become extremely suntanned, and I had a toy "golly". Why has anything and everything got to be turned racist nowadays?

I once worked with someone who had a lovely South Wales Valleys accent, who would go away somewhere hot for a holiday so that he could suntan the palms of his hands and the soles of his feet.

People in general need to wake up to the fact that everyone is the same under the skin. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

... used to be used more as a term of affection once upon a time. Why else would Guy Gibson have given his dog that name? My father called himself one of them in a postcard home once, after he had become extremely suntanned, and I had a toy "golly". Why has anything and everything got to be turned racist nowadays?

Those "terms of affection" weren't aimed at black people were they?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

People in general need to wake up to the fact that everyone is the same under the skin. 

I often find myself looking and admiring someone with a lovely dark skin tone, I don’t feel that’s racist just because I can see a difference in colour but that’s sometimes how your made to feel.

I don't know where you got that impression from? Being non-racist isn't the same as being colourblind. If they are saying you should pretend someone isn't black that's sort of passive racism, because its kind of saying "let's ignore their ethnicity" like it's a negative.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Nigg** used to be used more as a term of affection once upon a time. Why else would Guy Gibson have given his dog that name? My father called himself one of them in a postcard home once, after he had become extremely suntanned, and I had a toy "golly". Why has anything and everything got to be turned racist nowadays?

I once worked with someone who had a lovely South Wales Valleys accent, who would go away somewhere hot for a holiday so that he could suntan the palms of his hands and the soles of his feet.

Is "calling black people n*gger isn't racist" really the hill you're choosing to die on?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

I don't know where you got that impression from? Being non-racist isn't the same as being colourblind. If they are saying you should pretend someone isn't black that's sort of passive racism, because its kind of saying "let's ignore their ethnicity" like it's a negative.  

Oh I completely agree, unfortunately I think sometimes people try hard in an effort not to be racist that as you’ve said it becomes unintended passive racism.

Unfortunately in a world where you can identify as whatever you feel like it does cause people to walk on egg shells.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Oh I completely agree, unfortunately I think sometimes people try hard in an effort not to be racist that as you’ve said it becomes unintended passive racism.

Unfortunately in a world where you can identify as whatever you feel like it does cause people to walk on egg shells.

I don't think there's any need to walk on eggshells. Any reasonable person (which on the whole is a large part of the population) will judge people based on their intent. Accidentally misgender someone? Whatever, say sorry and correct yourself. Intentionally misgendering people? Kinda lame. Same applies to pretty much everything.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's down to education?

I was taught, many, many years ago that no matter what someone looks like, the point is that they are human beings, and they should be treated as such.

I have been called quite a few things in the past, a lot of them not very nice. It can be hard to try and remember that "Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me". The harder the abuse, the harder I got.

It would be better for everybody concerned if humans treated other humans with humanity.

What is happening now is that certain sectors are rabble rousing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, monasqueen said:

Perhaps it's down to education?

I was taught, many, many years ago that no matter what someone looks like, the point is that they are human beings, and they should be treated as such.

I have been called quite a few things in the past, a lot of them not very nice. It can be hard to try and remember that "Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me". The harder the abuse, the harder I got.

It would be better for everybody concerned if humans treated other humans with humanity.

What is happening now is that certain sectors are rabble rousing.

This post was going kinda well until you used the last sentence to imply that it's just non-whites being soft and making a fuss.

58 minutes ago, HeliX said:

This post was going kinda well until you used the last sentence to imply that it's just non-whites being soft and making a fuss.

That's not what was said though HeliX, you are doing what a lot of people seem to be doing, looking for racist intent when there is none! This is why there is such a fuss at present, there are organisations and individuals who are perpetuating division, as it's not in their interests to see unity.

I have several black friends and acquaintances and I never even notice their skin colour when talking to them. I think that generally goes for most of the UK population? Some may say that this in itself is racist as I am not acknowledging their race! See what I mean?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/14/time-end-toxic-narrative-britain-racist-country/

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That's not what was said though HeliX, you are doing what a lot of people seem to be doing, looking for racist intent when there is none! This is why there is such a fuss at present, there are organisations and individuals who are perpetuating division, as it's not in their interests to see unity.

Perhaps I'm judging too harshly, but their post before that one was arguing for the n-word not being racist so...

Highlighting inequality requires you to define the different groups - you could argue that's an act of division, but until there is parity then it's pretty much essential to have groupings of people. I've mentioned it before, but I'd love a world where someone's identity had nothing to do with politics, but I don't think we're anywhere near it yet.

I have several black friends and acquaintances and I never even notice their skin colour when talking to them. I think that generally goes for most of the UK population? Some may say that this in itself is racist as I am not acknowledging their race! See what I mean?

There's two conflicting points here - not treating people differently due to their race is good. Not acknowledging that their race causes them to suffer discrimination in many parts of society is bad.

Not subbed to the Telegraph, but presumably this makes the case that acknowledging that society still has a long way to go to achieve equality of treatment between the races is somehow bad for black people because it'll make them not try? I don't buy it I'm afraid - maybe at a very individual level for a vanishingly small number of people, but for the rest it's a good thing to both identify and attempt to rectify discrimination.

• Like 1