Black Lives Matter

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Ah, of course, none of it is factual then, sorry. 

Well, a lot of it is edited out of context (because that's what he does) and is deliberately divisive (because that's what he does).

Hard to know which bits are actually real or not given the editing style.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Just a point on unconscious bias but I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen a picture of a drug dealer on trial in the IOM be published by IOM newspapers. Usually it’s just a write up of the court report. Is this because he is a coloured gentlemen?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=64392

What an unusual but very well observed point. Photos in the paper and online are rare as rocking horse shit especially in court reporting. A picture is published if it’s a big knob, HNWI or celebrity in trouble. Cretneys ugly mug Cheshire Cat grin is always plastered with his column.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

What like this? This one for a simple example was the full front page. You really do talk some fucking whack

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48217&headline=Cocaine syndicate brothers jailed&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

Not necessarily, reporting is very selective, sometimes it’s a little write up in the court reports section, with no picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Not necessarily, reporting is very selective, sometimes it’s a little write up in the court reports section, with no picture.

His post says he hasn't seen pictures of drug dealers in the papers before, and speculates this one is in because of the colour of his skin. I simply show it is not that uncommon, and that his speculation is stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The picture that Teapot (counter argument) posted is a police custody photo taken presumably upon arrest/being charged. The photo IOM newspaper used is a photo that someone has handed to them - man in pub snapshot holding a pint. Where has the picture come from? Is there a picture of the other co-defendant? There were 2 charged unless the other party has been acquitted?

Edited by 2112

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The picture that Teapot (counter argument) posted is a police custody photo taken presumably upon arrest/being charged. The photo IOM newspaper used is a photo that someone has handed to them - man in pub snapshot holding a pint. Where has the picture come from? Is there a picture of the other co-defendant? There were 2 charged unless the other party has been acquitted?

Two seconds to see he made it publicly available when he made it his own FB profile picture .

If I ever get arrested they will be publishing a picture of me dressed as a T Rex

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s after sentencing. This chap hasn’t even been sentenced yet.

He's admitted guilt though, so there won't be  a jury trial and there's no real restrictions on reporting.  The same applies to his co-accused, though presumably they couldn't find a picture of him on social media or at least one that they could guarantee was the right person. 

Editors live in fear of printing the photo of the wrong person and getting sued, so maybe the bias here is more about being certain of identity, which might be racially or name-related, but also due to being local.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Two seconds to see he made it publicly available when he made it his own FB profile picture .

If I ever get arrested they will be publishing a picture of me dressed as a T Rex

Bolan or Finn?

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't know either of them if I fell over them, although the first gentleman's name gives a clue to his ethnicity anyway. 

I do like the way the court seems to have no clue about the differences between the misery caused by heroin and cocaine!

Edited by Max Power

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

is that really something they need to point out? Both are pretty bad to get hooked on. Some of the very worst people I’ve met are coke-heads. . 

I won't argue there, however heroin is as good as a death sentence, just ruins the lives of everyone, including their friends and relatives. Coke is mainly recreational and not addictive, although some get hooked on the feeling, rather than the body craving it like heroin.     

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Hmm you mean someone looked at that picture and said yeah that fella is definitely a Nyamande we’ll go with that one? Which sort of underlines my point on unconscious bias.

More a matter of probability.  If he was Phillip Corlett (or Phillip Jones) whatever colour he was, there might be more possibilities and they'd be more cautious because of picking the wrong one.  A rarer surname, they can be more certain of.  The local thing is because someone at the paper might recognise him and say "That's the guy from the Rugby Club, that's the right one".

• Like 1