Black Lives Matter

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well assuming it's the main IOM Bank on the corner of Prospect Hill and Athol Street that they're talking about (space-wise the  one in Strand Street/Regent Street would make better sense) the idea is presumably to be within sight of the two centres of Manx political power at once.

I don't understand what you mean about not giving people votes though.  As far as I know the only requirement to vote on the Island is to have been resident for over a year and aged 16+.  There doesn't seem to any restriction on nationality - though of course you do have to be legally resident.  I can't think of any country that has a more generous franchise.

What I meant was, 2 Manx Asian candidates were proposed, seconded and made the list for the most recent February 2020 Legco elections. One Asian candidate just missed out being elected, whilst the other candidate who I think works at Nobles, received 0 votes. It was a shame that these Politicos whilst espousing Gender, Racial and Sexual Equality, and other rights for some sectors of society, they could have given at least 1 vote.

HRH The Chief Minister made a song and dance and got his wish for a diverse and gender balanced Legco, it’s a shame they can’t practice what they preach, and perhaps encourage more BAME candidates at local and national elections. Sadly I think BAME candidates wishing to stand for Legco is a waste of time, as the MHK mindset and intelligence is still stuck in the 1970’s.

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What I meant was, 2 Manx Asian candidates were proposed, seconded and made the list for the most recent February 2020 Legco elections. One Asian candidate just missed out being elected, whilst the other candidate who I think works at Nobles, received 0 votes. It was a shame that these Politicos whilst espousing Gender, Racial and Sexual Equality, and other rights for some sectors of society, they could have given at least 1 vote.

HRH The Chief Minister made a song and dance and got his wish for a diverse and gender balanced Legco, it’s a shame they can’t practice what they preach, and perhaps encourage more BAME candidates at local and national elections. Sadly I think BAME candidates wishing to stand for Legco is a waste of time, as the MHK mindset and intelligence is still stuck in the 1970’s.

Sorry, just let me get this right.

You are saying that it is for racist reasons that they didn't get through to be MLCs?  New levels for you that one.

Big H got his wish because there are more females in Legco now so that indicates they are practicing what they preach.

The Male/Female gender balance I can understand.   After that we need to look at whether they are right for role.  Not whether they are black or asian.

It isn't Coronation Street which appears to be where you are drawing your experiences from.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

You are advocating positive discrimination for minorities which is never a good idea.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

with positive discrimination we could end up with our own diane abbott,    better to just be glad these people stood in  the first place so we can tick a box and leave it at that.

I thought that. And then I thought of some of those we have elected. It appears we can elect some beauties even without positive discrimination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

You are advocating positive discrimination for minorities which is never a good idea.

No all I am saying is what is point of going to the trouble of nominating, proposing and seconding someone for public office, then when it comes to the vote, totally ignoring that person, and they end up bottom of the list with 0 votes. It’s not positive or negative, but quite ‘shitty’ really. Embarrassing for the candidate to receive no support from those proposing you. Unless MHKs are trying to send messages to their constituents that they like to practice equal opportunities in the work place etc, say one thing in public but do the opposite.

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

No all I am saying is what is point of going to the trouble of nominating, proposing and seconding someone for public office, then when it comes to the vote, totally ignoring that person, and they end up bottom of the list with 0 votes. It’s not positive or negative, but quite ‘shitty’ really. Embarrassing for the candidate to receive no support from those proposing you. Unless MHKs are trying to send messages to their constituents that they like to practice equal opportunities in the work place etc, say one thing in public but do the opposite.

Got you. Yes I agree with that to some extent. Why propose them then? It's a bit like the hypocrisy of those in the higher echelons of Labour who proposed Corbyn for the leadership ballot, never dreaming anyone would vote for him. Of course, they got the opposite result and a very big shock.

• Like 1