Black Lives Matter

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Bandwagons matter. All violence is wrong. All criminals are wrong. All Police brutality is wrong. All coercion to riot and loot is wrong.

Kicking over that statue was fair enough though, right? I mean - does anyone seriously mind that a statue of a slaver got chucked in the river. Seems fair enough to me. Why was it even there?

Well done Somerset and Avon for looking the other way.

Edited by pongo

31 minutes ago, d.r said:

The fact that a discussion about this could not happen on Manx Radio has nothing to do with BLM or anyone except Stu Peters and Manx Radio. IMO the presenter did a pretty terrible job at stimulating good discussion on the topic and helping the (not professional debater) who called in through the points he wanted to make. 

I sincerely hope you don't really support or not support causes based on how well a single radio presenter is able to approach the issue. Instead, you can discuss it elsewhere, like here.

It's impossible to stimulate any kind of discussion when, like the first caller, they were just banging on and on with no intention of having a discussion at all. As I said, I think discussion is important too.

So whether or not I support a particular cause is not based on a single radio presenter.

It's based on the behaviour of those promoting that particular cause.

Which is why I won't be supporting it....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pongo said:

Kicking over that statue was fair enough though, right? I mean - does anyone seriously mind that a statue of a slaver got chucked in the river. Seems fair enough to me. Why was it even there?

Well done Somerset and Avon for looking the other way.

I love it when the clowns go off on one.Who went into the jungle and captured the Black Man and sold the Black Man at a slave auction in Africa...To the White Man...Answers on a banner in front of the War Memorial tomorrow...

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's impossible to stimulate any kind of discussion when, like the first caller, they were just banging on and on with no intention of having a discussion at all. As I said, I think discussion is important too.

So whether or not I support a particular cause is not based on a single radio presenter.

Which is why I won't be supporting it....

That's a totally unfair amount of responsibility to put on someone calling into a talk show. For what it's worth, I think calling in live on air to challenge the opinion of a presenter was ballsy af. I'd like to think I would do the same about an issue I cared about but I really doubt it. So bravo for him for trying. 

A good presenter, whose actual job is dealing with callers and the opinions they are trying to get across on a medium they are totally not familiar with, could have helped him out. 

As for your reasoning to support or not support causes, BLM is a large organization tackling issues that are complex and hard to explain to people quickly. You cannot expect or demand that the people most severely affected by these issues turn around and explain them to you perfectly and in a way you will instantly understand. If you are not directly affected by racism, take the time to try and learn about just how much some people are before expecting them to do it for you. Lots of people would help you with this.

• Like 1

PK. To be fair, in this type of programme, it's usually the 'Shock Jock' who is doing all the shouting over the caller.

Perhaps Stu P is not that experienced at this , I don't know because I don't listen to him, maybe this time he came up against someone who was better at it than him?

Weren't Stu Ps comments which followed the Jordan call as much to blame for the mess he finds himself in???

Just now, d.r said:

That's a totally unfair amount of responsibility to put on someone calling into a talk show. For what it's worth, I think calling in live on air to challenge the opinion of a presenter was ballsy af. I'd like to think I would do the same about an issue I cared about but I really doubt it. So bravo for him for trying. 

A good presenter, whose actual job is dealing with callers and the opinions they are trying to get across on a medium they are totally not familiar with, could have helped him out. 

As for your reasoning to support or not support causes, BLM is a large organization tackling issues that are complex and hard to explain to people quickly. You cannot expect or demand that the people most severely affected by these issues turn around and explain them to you perfectly and in a way you will instantly understand. If you are not directly affected by racism, take the time to try and learn about just how much some people are before expecting them to do it for you. Lots of people would help you with this.

I don't expect or demand anything of the kind. Where you have got that nonsense from I really can't imagine...

I have to say that there's nothing "ballsy" about ringing MR at all. People do it all the time, multiple times. And no doubt will continue to do so.

But there are a lot of people like me who are "uncomfortable" with what has taken place. Which hasn't done your cause any good at all. Obviously it would have been better for BLM IOM if the calls hadn't taken place at all. Because now folks like me are unhappy with what we have experienced of your motivation and methods.

Too late now of course....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

PK. To be fair, in this type of programme, it's usually the 'Shock Jock' who is doing all the shouting over the caller.

Perhaps Stu P is not that experienced at this , I don't know because I don't listen to him, maybe this time he came up against someone who was better at it than him?

Weren't Stu Ps comments which followed the Jordan call as much to blame for the mess he finds himself in???

Come off it.

It's not like you're ringing James O'Brien on LBC who is going to tear you a new one in pretty short order if you give him the chance.

• Haha 1

I don't expect or demand anything of the kind. Where you have got that nonsense from I really can't imagine...

I'm getting it from you ...

49 minutes ago, P.K. said:

• Haha 1

Come off it.

It's not like you're ringing James O'Brien on LBC who is going to tear you a new one in pretty short order if you give him the chance.

Calling in when you are the minority and knowing the presenter has the opposite opinion I think is brave. You probably cannot relate if you have not ever been in the minority. But ok, it was not live on CNN sure. I still would not wanna do it.