Black Lives Matter

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No, the whole set-up of course.

I posted waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy back that as Trump is like a permanently petulant child and as there's an election coming up he will view BLM demonstrations as a golden opportunity for redneck votes.

This isn't rocket science....

Can you elaborate on what you mean by whole set-up? Are you referring to Stu-gate or BLM as a loose organisation?

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But was that a completely unreasonable racist thing to say? It is his opinion, but rather than rationally explain, the caller spluttered in disbelief.  It was an attack.  If it had been the other way round, you may have a point. 

Unreasonable? In my opinion yes. Racist? No, poorly informed really. One could argue that Stu should be more "abreast" of issues given his job. My gut feeling is that this should really be resolved by an open discussion on MR with Stu and possibly Jordan and others. I must admit though, I am finding it hard to view this issue in isolation given some of Stu's less than palatable comments on other topics previously

1 minute ago, d.r said:

Like I already said I don't really think a suspension was appropriate, I am interested to know why MR thought it was if anyone knows that.

I am disappointed Stu was not able to turn it into any kind of discussion and I do think that falls more on him as the host rather than the caller. But maybe he just wanted to be a shock jock idk.

As I keep saying, it was an ambush, an onslaught, he was not given the opportunity to speak fully by any of the callers, but just railed at.  They didn't want a reasoned debate or to be able to calmly persuade with their view.  It was a petulant bombardment that has damaged freedom of speech and thought, BLM IOM, Stu Peters and MR.  

If having a different view (it wasn't even a completely opposite view), lands you in that kind of bother, people are not going to debate openly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I'm concerned about racism like anyone normal.

But I'm not going to let my good intentions be hijacked by unscrupulous people.

I'm all ears for what you do plan to do based on your concerns. 

Just now, d.r said:

I'm all ears for what you do plan to do based on your concerns. 

I'm all ears for what BLM IOM plan to do based on their concerns. 

All a bit wishy washy, no specific list of steps to eradicate racism on the IOM, just awareness and solidarity.  Oh yes, and fundraising. If it funds a group who will engage on official levels with their specific proposals for reforms that will reduce racism on the IOM, I may be persuaded. 

3 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

Where is the IOM BLM movement to be found online ? I’ve not see much aside from the news articles

A lot on the Event page by the looks of it. But it's a young person's game so probably WhatsApp/Discord/Something for the bulk of it

38 minutes ago, quilp said:

Ok, what is, "better" and where to next? Is that "we" as a society or is it referring to the organisation BLM?

@d.r Any chance of an answer to these simple questions. What's the philosophy of the 'movement'?

Edited by quilp

15 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I think it's more likely to be his comments about white privilege than him not agreeing. Had he said "Can you put white privilege into your words? I'm not sure I agree it exists" rather than "I've had no more privilege in my life than you have" we probably wouldn't be here.

Though I would reiterate that I don't think losing his job is necessarily the right response. But we'll have to see what the ICC says.

The phrase 'white privilege' many would have thought was self-defining. But, as so many in the world have since found out, it's a huge complex issue.. Who'd have thought? And if you don't get it exactly right, then watch out.

Yep, it's a minefield with eggshells scattered all over it.

• Like 3

Just now, gettafa said:

The phrase 'white privilege' many would have thought was self-defining. But, as so many in the world have since found out, it's a huge complex issue.. Who'd have thought? And if you don't get it exactly right, then watch out.

Yep, it's a minefield with eggshells scattered all over it.

I don't disagree. It's a complicated issue, and unfortunately a lot of people associate it with the term "privilege" which traditionally meant that your parents were loaded.