Black Lives Matter

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The phrase 'white privilege' many would have thought was self-defining. But, as so many in the world have since found out, it's a huge complex issue.. Who'd have thought? And if you don't get it exactly right, then watch out.

Yep, it's a minefield with eggshells scattered all over it.

jordan-peterson-quote-lbu9k3e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

I don't disagree. It's a complicated issue, and unfortunately a lot of people associate it with the term "privilege" which traditionally meant that your parents were loaded.

Perhaps we could rename it "The Brucey Bonus".

1 minute ago, quilp said:

jordan-peterson-quote-lbu9k3e.jpg

That implies that it's being used to guilt or undermine white people though. In my view it's not. It's a way to frame societal issues. White people don't need to feel guilty for white privilege, it's not like they're doing it on purpose. But it's worth bearing in mind while discussing racial issues.

That implies that it's being used to guilt or undermine white people though. In my view it's not. It's a way to frame societal issues. White people don't need to feel guilty for white privilege, it's not like they're doing it on purpose. But it's worth bearing in mind while discussing racial issues.

It's not being used as a guilt hammer?  I beg to differ, vis the astonished reaction of the first caller.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, quilp said:

That's exactly what it's attempting to instil. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

It's not being used as a guilt hammer?  I beg to differ, vis the astonished reaction of the first caller.  

I don't think the first caller was trying to instil guilt from white privilege at all. Nor do I think the vast majority of people using the term are. 

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of people in this thread have only really analysed the term "white privilege" since Stu's call, which I imagine would give you a not particularly representative view. In more formal contexts (studies, debates, etc) it's certainly not used as a guilt mechanism. Just a way to frame societal issues.

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, but that has been the consequence of the ambush and subsequent complaints.  Have you listened to the audio or read the transcript?  Stu was quite measured and could not get a word in edgeways.

How could Our Stu be measured if he wasn't getting a word in?

Just shows he is not the person to be doing this type of 'show'?

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of people in this thread have only really analysed the term "white privilege" since Stu's call, which I imagine would give you a not particularly representative view. In more formal contexts (studies, debates, etc) it's certainly not used as a guilt mechanism. Just a way to frame societal issues.

Come on Helix, it may have been coined in heady academia, but it is used as a weapon. 

• Like 5

I don't think the first caller was trying to instil guilt from white privilege at all. Nor do I think the vast majority of people using the term are. 

What about the other callers? Depends also on who and how and from where the term is used.

I guess it's another classic case of only hearing what you want to hear to suit your interpretation. Confirmation bias, an'that... 

Just now, Gladys said:

Have you listened to the audio? 

Obviously not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gladys said:

Come on Helix, it may have been coined in heady academia, but it is used as a weapon. 

I can't see it being used as a weapon in this transcript? Perhaps some people have used it as a weapon at some time, but that's certainly not the wide usage of the term.

JM: For all lives - listen - for all lives to matter we have to raise the people of all creed, colours, religions to the level that white people's privilege allows them to be. For all lives to matter, black and other…

SP: I've had no more privilege in my life than you have Jordan.

JM: Excuse me?

SP: I've had no more privilege in my life than you have. I'm a white man, you're a black man you say.

JM: If you believe that then you're already - this is exactly what white privilege is. I'm not saying that you haven't, like, endured anything in your life. But you have automatically - the system is built for you to win already. I have to go through everything in my daily life, and I have to go through these things that you don't see so you don't think they exist. Or, I kind of believe that you're an intellectual man to a degree. You're either extremely ignorant or extremely - I don't know what you are, but I'm not talking with you any longer…