Black Lives Matter

1 minute ago, quilp said:

What about the other callers? Depends also on who and how and from where the term is used.

I guess it's another classic case of only hearing what you want to hear to suit your interpretation. Confirmation bias, an'that... 

I don't have the transcript from the other callers and it's been days since I listened to it, so you might have to refresh me. But as I say, I haven't seen widespread usage of "white privilege" as an insult or way to instil guilt at all. It's just background.

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't have the transcript from the other callers and it's been days since I listened to it, so you might have to refresh me. But as I say, I haven't seen widespread usage of "white privilege" as an insult or way to instil guilt at all. It's just background.

Of course it instils guilt when it is raised because there is nothing that you can do about it; you can't change the colour of your skin, but because of the colour of your skin you are privileged, even if as an individual you don't feel particularly so.  Bit of a mirror argument, is it not?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It’s already been posted up a while back. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Of course it instils guilt when it is raised because there is nothing that you can do about it; you can't change the colour of your skin, but because of the colour of your skin you are privileged, even if as an individual you don't feel particularly so.  Bit of a mirror argument, is it not?

Something you didn't cause and can't change is exactly the sort of thing that shouldn't cause guilt, no?

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Something you didn't cause and can't change is exactly the sort of thing that shouldn't cause guilt, no?

It is exactly the kind of thing that is intended to cause guilt  because you cannot change it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

It is exactly the kind of thing that is intended to cause guilt  because you cannot change it. 

Interesting, this really isn't the perception I've had from others having discussed this issue a fair number of times in previous years.

I'm trying very hard not to make comments/assumptions about Christian upbringings and original sin here...

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I can genuinely say I don't feel guilty about anything.  It seems to be a hobby these days - people with fuck all better to do that try and make people feel guilty about something.or other.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't have the transcript from the other callers and it's been days since I listened to it, so you might have to refresh me.

How about refreshing yourself? 

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

But as I say, I haven't seen widespread usage of "white privilege" as an insult or way to instil guilt at all. It's just background.

So you're acknowledging that it exists then, this inference of a collective white guilt. By saying you haven't seen "widespread usage" and that it's "just background" you've obviously picked up on the concept but it's a very real phenomenon, and will eventually become counter-productive to the BLM cause. 

I fear there'll be a violent backlash from the far-right and it won't be nice...

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

I fear there'll be a violent backlash from the far-right and it won't be nice...

....and that's exactly why the issue needs to be addressed !!!

The backlash has never gone away.

Edited by Kopek

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

....and that's exactly why the issue needs to be addressed !!!

The backlash has never gone away.

How can this issue be addressed then? Come on, where does society start? With whom lies the blame..? We can discuss the problem till dawn but what about the solution? 

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

How about refreshing yourself? 

So you're acknowledging that it exists then, this inference of a collective white guilt. By saying you haven't seen "widespread usage" and that it's "just background" you've obviously picked up on the concept but it's a very real phenomenon, and will eventually become counter-productive to the BLM cause. 

I will probably listen to it again over the next few days now, but to be honest it's quite exhausting being one of a very few set of people fielding questions for the "other" side on here.

That's quite a large leap, what I meant by "I haven't seen widespread usage of "white privilege" as an insult or way to instil guilt at all." is that there may be the odd person or two using it in bad faith as a way to instil guilt, but the term itself doesn't have any intention of doing so. It's just a way to frame race issues.