Black Lives Matter

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

So true, but if a white person spoke those very same words, it would be held up as another example of racist, white privilege.  

Being racist and being the beneficiary of what is termed "white privilege" are not the same thing.

It is possible to challenge workplace culture and say that it causes people to be over concerned of causing upset without ranting and raving about being black being no difference to being ginger and bleating about offense culture because you can't say coloured anymore. She demonstrates how to do that, it must be possible for white people to do that, maybe they're being drowned out by easily triggered offendo-droids like Hopkins, Peters, Farage and co.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

Being racist and being the beneficiary of what is termed "white privilege" are not the same thing.

It is possible to challenge workplace culture and say that it causes people to be over concerned of causing upset without ranting and raving about being black being no difference to being ginger and bleating about offense culture because you can't say coloured anymore. She demonstrates how to do that, it must be possible for white people to do that, maybe they're being drowned out by easily triggered offendo-droids like Hopkins, Peters, Farage and co.

The ranting and raving is not coming from the non-extreme middle fielders, who are the vast majority.  But it is that vast majority who feel that they are walking on eggshells on this topic.  That needs to end. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The ranting and raving is not coming from the non-extreme middle fielders, who are the vast majority.  But it is that vast majority who feel that they are walking on eggshells on this topic.  That needs to end. 

I think that walking on eggshells is exactly what they expect us to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think that walking on eggshells is exactly what they expect us to do.

Really? What's that?

I always believe that hanging numbers on anecdotal information is the way to disperse the bs and get to the nub of the issue.

I also believe in the KISS theory and the Feynman Problem Solving Algorithm.

The two recent homicides by the US police forces are dreadful and shocking. No doubt about it. So there's lots of stats been pushed out about how African Americans are something like 2.5 times more likely to die at the hands of the police than any other group. Unfotunately the stats are confusing as it seems African Americans are viewed as a racial group and Latino / Hispanics are viewed as an ethnic group with some of them being counted as part of the white majority. Eh?

Anyway, be that as it may I thought I would look beyond the fact that the vast majority of African American homicides are committed by African Americans. But it's as well to remember that gun ownership in the US is a totally stupid number like 120 weapons per 100 citizens! WTF?

Now when do people tend to interact with the police force? When crimes have been committed of course!

The percentages are striking and revealing. Looking at the US crime rates on a per capita basis African Americans commit 2.8 more crimes than any other grouping. For homicide it jumps to 6.3 times more per capita and for robbery 8.1 times!

Add in all the guns and attitude and you can see how you could grow a problem....

Please don't bother questioning my figures because I'll just claim I made them all up.

• Like 3

The eggshell issue was confirmed for me in a Sky documentary.  One of the US BLM protestors said something like you either support BLM or are against it and racist.  It is binary, anything not BLM is racist, no discussion, no acknowledgement of other views, no desire to find a common ground to defeat all racism.  Admittedly, it was the US which is at a tipping point on the issue. 

But it is  probably that strident, unrelenting, single focus aspect of BLM that really concerns me.  It is fascism of another sort. People who do not unquestioningly support BLM are racists, regardless of any rational, counter or wider view they may have. 

• Like 4

"Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists" - George W Bush.

Other people to have famously advanced the argument of my way or the high way include Jesus, Julius Caesar, Lenin, Mussolini and Erdogan.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This cultural fascism is everywhere now, not just in politics, and it's growing. Binary selection: The workplace, child-rearing, education, lifestyle choices, morals and values etc. You either support the prevailing ideology and orthodoxy or you're beyond the pale, unimportant, a beta, an outlier; perhaps ignorant, racist, right-wing, a zero; even a 'bad' person, threatening, dangerous, dispensable, expendable... Political correctness has wormed its way into all aspects of our lives and being.

You might have to go on the watch list <_<  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another situation is that many 'white' people simply treat everyone as equal anyway, a default non-racist, they don't see colour as an issue because to them it isn't an issue. They see the person not the colour of the skin or race or whatever.

The extremists can't handle this and certainly don't accept it. So unless a person is actively holding a big BLM placard, at least metaphorically, they see them as 'oooh racist'. 

Edited by gettafa
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1