Black Lives Matter

It's strange that no-one has pointed out that one of the key Island families behind a significant newspaper and later a significant fraction of the infrastructure that supported the holiday trade for well over a century came from a man of African slave descent - Brown by name and their genetic history well shown in the 3rd generation of the family. I haven't seen any racial taunts thrown at them on Island (tho there were many political including a jail term for insulting Tynwald) nor any such holding back their progress though it is interesting that one of the WW1 German internees did so but then you can see on my web site several aspects of such German intolerance pre WW2 (one key complaint was the use of black troops to guard them).

[Look up James Brown on my website]

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Frances said:

It's strange that no-one has pointed out that one of the key Island families behind a significant newspaper and later a significant fraction of the infrastructure that supported the holiday trade for well over a century came from a man of African slave descent - Brown by name and their genetic history well shown in the 3rd generation of the family. I haven't seen any racial taunts thrown at them on Island (tho there were many political including a jail term for insulting Tynwald) nor any such holding back their progress though it is interesting that one of the WW1 German internees did so but then you can see on my web site several aspects of such German intolerance pre WW2 (one key complaint was the use of black troops to guard them).

Thanks Frances, I think James Brown was been referred to under the statues thread perhaps.  But good point.  There is also a headstone for a slave from St Helena in Braddan old churchyard.  May not be palatable now, but I always find it very touching. 

19 minutes ago, Frances said:

Going by Robert Fyson's The Struggle for Manx Democracy, there were quite a lot of racial taunts against James Brown (the founder of the Isle of Man Times) during his time on the Island, including from people nominally on the same side in the battle for elections to the Keys, such as the Farghers.  The attack on him in the Mona's Herald (see Fyson p 160) when he was fighting his legal case for compensation against the Keys was very similar to the sort of things you see from the far Right in the US attacking BLM and in terms that anyone would have to admit are racist. 

Now there were also elements of snobbery and commercial rivalry in this as well as xenophobia ("He's not just Black, he's a Black Scouser!").  But if that was the sort of thing that was thought suitable to be printed in the papers, you can imagine what got said in the streets.  That said his son John Archibald Brown who ran the newspaper for decades seemed to suffer less from it, perhaps because he was only one eighth Black, though still visibly mixed race.

It did amuse me though that when they were was lots of tutting about the lack of statues to named Black people recently, no one pointed to Joseph Swynnerton's bust of Brown in the Manx Museum - from 1882.  Though as it happens the "first public sculptural representations of black British people in the UK" were also by a Manx sculptor - just over a hundred years later.

• Thanks 1

Roger - his background certainly didn't hinder John Archibald from climbing to the highest point of Manx Freemasonry which I think stood in in good stead to avoid prosecution re the collapse of Dumbell's Bank - no doubt his father's life was hard but it proved that if you had the intelligence and were prepared to work hard you could succeed no matter what background you had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frances said:

Roger - his background certainly didn't hinder John Archibald from climbing to the highest point of Manx Freemasonry which I think stood in in good stead to avoid prosecution re the collapse of Dumbell's Bank - no doubt his father's life was hard but it proved that if you had the intelligence and were prepared to work hard you could succeed no matter what background you had.

Oh quite - I was just making the point about the racial taunts against James.  I think he was an active Freemason as well - though that was sometimes often more racial integrated than you might expect in Victorian times, even in surprising places like India and South Africa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah Burnley. The football club itself isn't impressed. https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/2020/june/club-statement

The talk on the twitters is suggesting that the person who hired the plane may be Blackburn fan. Regardless, its needlessly and deliberately provocative.

Pretty much like the rentamob hiding behind BLM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Pretty much like the rentamob hiding behind BLM

Well, I always had you down as an idiot Neil, I didn't have you down as a probable racist idiot. I note you've changed your profile picture, just to show off what you really are.

Interesting program on BBC4 right now about the Black Panthers.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Well, I always had you down as an idiot Neil, I didn't have you down as a probable racist idiot. I note you've changed your profile picture, just to show off what you really are.

Interesting program on BBC4 right now about the Black Panthers.

I care not a jot what you think. Idiots like yourself do not bother me one bit. Predictably though, as you don’t or can’t have an original thought of your own, you have joined the sheeple. I abhor racists, BLM are a dangerous racist group. Quite understandably, you can’t see this

• Thanks 1