Black Lives Matter

My understanding of the nuclear family had always included grandparents (not necessarily Aunts, Uncles etc) but that seems to have been my experience of growing up on the Isle of Man.

Having checked the definition I can better understand your point, however, I still believe that it is an unrealistic ideal in modern society where both parents have to work full time.

Throw into that the 24/7 economy of today and imagine trying to raise a family with no extended family close by whilst working shifts at places like Amazon. 

This then brings us back to the discussion on 'white privilege' and perhaps even 'British privilege' when considering this point. 

Statistically which groups are the most likely to be working unsociable hours for minimum wage (or below the living wage) in the UK?  I would need to see if there is any empirical data available but my experience tells me it is people from minority ethnic groups and EU migrants.

2 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

As well as disrupting nuclear families, "We foster a queer‐affirming network."

It all sounds very odd.

As I understand it that is simply the LGBTQ community trying to take control over the defamatory use of the word queer.  Much in the same way as the black population have tried to do with the N word.

It's really interesting to look at how language has evolved and been manipulated over the years.  Just consider the word "fag".  It could be a contraction of the word "faggot" referring to a bundle of sticks or a derogatory term for a homosexual male but it can also refer to cigarette. 

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Just consider the word "fag".  It could be a contraction of the word "faggot" referring to a bundle of sticks or a derogatory term for a homosexual male but it can also refer to cigarette. 

Or 

1. INFORMAL
    a tiring or unwelcome task.
    "it's too much of a fag to drive all the way there and back again
  2. a junior pupil at a public school who does minor chores for a senior pupil.
    "a fag at school who has suffered a well-earned beating"

15 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

As well as disrupting nuclear families, "We foster a queer‐affirming network."

It all sounds very odd.

Yes, what does that mean in reality?  The use of "queer" I thought was now viewed as a pejorative for the LGBT community. The entire manifesto is full of buzz words and terms, yet the whole world is being asked to actively support this movement, and many do.  If you don't support the ill-phrased terms and objectives, you are racist.  

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, what does that mean in reality?  The use of "queer" I thought was now viewed as a pejorative for the LGBT community. The entire manifesto is full of buzz words and terms, yet the whole world is being asked to actively support this movement, and many do.  If you don't support the ill-phrased terms and objectives, you are racist.  

A couple of older gay people I know use the word queer to describe themselves. I was quite surprised when I first heard it from them, cos I thought it was seen as derogatory.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It looks like an example of double standards. Just picture the uproar from the gay community is anybody else aimed the word "queer" at them

1 minute ago, Whatnonsence said:

How is the statement controversial?

That banner was flown over a football match whilst the players "took a knee" in support of the Black Lives Matter campaign. 

Flying that banner at that time is intended to undermine that campaign.  It's not even the oft repeated 'All lives matter'.  It is deliberately inflammatory. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

It looks like an example of double standards. Just picture the uproar from the gay community is anybody else aimed the word "queer" at them

Do you use the n word to refer to black people?

It's about taking control of the terms that have been used in a defamatory way and removing the sting from them.

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

As I understand it that is simply the LGBTQ community trying to take control over the defamatory use of the word queer.  Much in the same way as the black population have tried to do with the N word.

It's really interesting to look at how language has evolved and been manipulated over the years.  Just consider the word "fag".  It could be a contraction of the word "faggot" referring to a bundle of sticks or a derogatory term for a homosexual male but it can also refer to cigarette. 

I was told that the term fag for homosexual originated from the bundle of sticks used on fires when witch burning was in vogue.  Apparently, they would throw homosexuals on the fire with the faggots, hence the term.  Shocking, eh?

Just now, manxman1980 said:

Do you use the n word to refer to black people?

It's about taking control of the terms that have been used in a defamatory way and removing the sting from them.

Only if their names are Norman or Norma...

and no it isn't, it's double standards. As I said, start using the word queer and see what sting you remove

29 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

My understanding of the nuclear family had always included grandparents (not necessarily Aunts, Uncles etc) but that seems to have been my experience of growing up on the Isle of Man.

Having checked the definition I can better understand your point, however, I still believe that it is an unrealistic ideal in modern society where both parents have to work full time.

Throw into that the 24/7 economy of today and imagine trying to raise a family with no extended family close by whilst working shifts at places like Amazon. 

This then brings us back to the discussion on 'white privilege' and perhaps even 'British privilege' when considering this point. 

Statistically which groups are the most likely to be working unsociable hours for minimum wage (or below the living wage) in the UK?  I would need to see if there is any empirical data available but my experience tells me it is people from minority ethnic groups and EU migrants.

No, the term is very specific, which is why I have suspicions about the desire to disrupt it. 

Taking a cynical view,  it may mean formalisation of the abrogation of parental responsibility that dogs many disadvantaged socio-economic groups.  Or a more charitable view may be that it is really seeking to replicate the missing extended family support network to the "displaced" nuclear family, whether that has one or two parents in situ. 

However, as far as BLM IOM is concerned, would it be controversial to opine that many of the marchers were driven to the march by one or other of their nuclear parents, in their nuclear SUVs?