Black Lives Matter

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Western Society, but certainly UK, and most certainly Isle of Man, is based on the nuclear family. It provides stability for society as a whole and gives members of the family support through extended family relationships etc. Some call that a 'white privilege'. Hence it is being attacked.

Is that true of the last, say, 40 years? I'm not intending to go through and count, but gut feeling says I know at least as many people from single parent homes as those who's parents are still together.

You're probably right. 20 years ago (Rushen Primary I know for sure) a schoolkid was seen as being somewhat different, even odd, for having a father at home, let alone (these days) identifiable.

Still, though, the nuclear family is the basis for Western Society. Huge amounts of wealth/power/privilege are held in the extended family units. (Use IoM as an useful indicative microcosm).

It is breaking down of course, but not quite as fast as the anarchists, or whoever would like.

27 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Gladys, I thought better of you than spreading 'false news':

'There is an urban legend, called an "oft-reprinted assertion" by Douglas Harper, that the modern slang meaning developed from the standard meaning of faggot as "bundle of sticks for burning" with regard to burning at the stake. This is unsubstantiated; the emergence of the slang term in 20th-century American English is unrelated to historical death penalties for homosexuality.'

Source: Wikipedia

It's hardly news, fake or not.:lol:

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Western Society, but certainly UK, and most certainly Isle of Man, is based on the nuclear family. It provides stability for society as a whole and gives members of the family support through extended family relationships etc. Some call that a 'white privilege'. Hence it is being attacked.

I think that's been attacked and eroded over the past 30+ decades by economics. In many cases we no longer care for our elderly relatives at home - we're too busy, sons and daughters, man and wife, working to pay the bills raised by the aspirations that modern lifestyle foists upon us. Elderly relatives are an inconvenient obstruction to that and are shunted off to expensive care homes on the back of any savings they may have, initially. How many families now live with grandparents under the same roof?

There is no family "nucleus" any more; it's been obliterated by the "every man for himself, dog eat dog" avenue that society took itself down many years ago in the name of being competitive and more productive. The nuclear family remains far more prevalent in the Far East these days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think that's been attacked and eroded over the past 30+ decades by economics. In many cases we no longer care for our elderly relatives at home - we're too busy, sons and daughters, man and wife, working to pay the bills raised by the aspirations that modern lifestyle foists upon us. Elderly relatives are an inconvenient obstruction to that and are shunted off to expensive care homes on the back of any savings they may have, initially. How many families now live with grandparents under the same roof?

There is no family "nucleus" any more; it's been obliterated by the "every man for himself, dog eat dog" avenue that society took itself down many years ago in the name of being competitive and more productive. The nuclear family remains far more prevalent in the Far East these days.

Not just grandparents, my kids have been trying to kick me out for years...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

You're probably right. 20 years ago (Rushen Primary I know for sure) a schoolkid was seen as being somewhat different, even odd, for having a father at home, let alone (these days) identifiable.

I think you have missed a word in that sentence or you are contradicting yourself...  :D

They had a father who lived at home with their mother and were seen as odd for that. "Who is that man in your mother's house ?" sort of thing.

Most of the other kids had fathers of course (biological fact, although in some cases I suspect turkey baster and/or the six pints of beer method of reception) but few who lived at home with them. Some had a  once a week/month father for the obligatory trip to McDonalds or equivalent. 

Me cynical? Yeah, on this matter you bet.

Edited by gettafa

4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

http://thyblackman.com/2016/02/18/why-black-lives-matter-is-dangerous/

when sensible black men and women announce them as dangerous, maybe people should stop and listen

It's not very well proof read. "There approach is obvious". Pick one of "there", they're" and "their", and get it wrong... A common mistake, but not usually in print.

Also, what is meant by "They neither know nor overstand"....  Does he mean understand?

To my mind, someone like Marcus Rashford is an excellent example of how black people can make an impression. Coming from his background, he didn't have a lot going for him, but he persevered, did extremely well, and is now helping to look after people less fortunate than himself. Not only has he excelled, but his mother has clearly shown how decent parenting can make an impression. 

A lot of people seem to expect others to help them, rather than make an effort themselves. (And that goes for all races).

• Like 4