Black Lives Matter

4 hours ago, woolley said:

Well right, of course, but certainly not right wing. Left wing authoritarian according to Chinahand's (I believe) quiz on here not too long ago. :)

Posts the man who on hearing of yet another rise in child poverty putting his right wing, brexit, austerity, looking after already well-off tory voters party firmly in the dock immediately set out to redefine the meaning of "poverty" in the UK.

The only person you're trying to fool is yourself. Like most on MF, and the island as a whole, you're as right wing as they come...

18 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No, I don't think I've said that anywhere have I?

I'm anti-racist of course, because that's just right, but as I've previously posted am not a particular supporter of the current BLM movement, because I'm suspicious of what is driving it. It isn't just the fact there is still sadly a lot of racism about and that people from ethnic backgrounds find things a struggle in majority white societies, there's something else at play here and I'm uncomfortable with it. 

But there is no doubt that the majority of people supporting it are doing so for the right reasons. Those who oppose it, well I'm much less sure that the majority of those are doing so for the right reasons.

Crossed wires somewhere TP - You haven't said it was 50% and I wasn't trying to say that you did.

The point that I am making, is that, if the BLM campaign was properly thought out, then you would expect the majority of the population (or even the majority of posters on here) to broadly support the campaign because the very large majority are not racist. But the fact is, that BLM are not attracting the 95% (or whatever it is) that are not racist (which they should easily do) - they are only attracting 50% at best - why is that?

The deficit between only attracting 50% when in fact 95% are against racism really should be a concern that BLM and its supporters need to address! The deficit can only point to the fact that this particular campaign is a tactical failure even though its overall aims are entirely laudable. 

If you main aim is to unify, and yet you manage to immediately alienate 50% of those you depend on for support, that is, by definition, a failure.

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

Posts the man who on hearing of yet another rise in child poverty putting his right wing, brexit, austerity, looking after already well-off tory voters party firmly in the dock immediately set out to redefine the meaning of "poverty" in the UK.

The only person you're trying to fool is yourself. Like most on MF, and the island as a whole, you're as right wing as they come...

You missed out the word "relative" before "child poverty". If you have a billion and I have ten million I am a relative pauper to you. That's what relative means. If you are talking about actual not being able to eat or have a place to live poverty then I'm all for sorting it out. Having the latest laptop and smartphone, not so much.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No, I don't think I've said that anywhere have I?

I'm anti-racist of course, because that's just right, but as I've previously posted am not a particular supporter of the current BLM movement, because I'm suspicious of what is driving it. It isn't just the fact there is still sadly a lot of racism about and that people from ethnic backgrounds find things a struggle in majority white societies, there's something else at play here and I'm uncomfortable with it. 

But there is no doubt that the majority of people supporting it are doing so for the right reasons. Those who oppose it, well I'm much less sure that the majority of those are doing so for the right reasons.

Interesting change of views.

Monday you were accusing me of being a racist for calling out BLM... Still awaiting an apology for that accusation

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Interesting change of views.

Monday you were accusing me of being a racist for calling out BLM... Still awaiting an apology for that accusation

Those who oppose it, well I'm much less sure that the majority of those are doing so for the right reasons.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

A pertinent view on the BLM movement and cancel-culture in general. 

Thanks Quilp, very interesting and confirmatory.  He is not afraid to say bullshit and also I had never really considered "woke" as religion or quasi- religion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

A pertinent view on the BLM movement and cancel-culture in general. 

Can't believe I watched 38minutes of this waiting for the pertinent view on BLM and it was only the "I don't like violent protests" bit right at the start. You cad.