Black Lives Matter

Just now, HeliX said:

Can't believe I watched 38minutes of this waiting for the pertinent view on BLM and it was only the "I don't like violent protests" bit right at the start. You cad.

Try listening instead of watching.  There were no subtitles. 

Just now, Gladys said:

Point is it is not the majority of people, just the most vocal, viz the J K Rowling nonsense. 

Has JK Rowling been "cancelled"? She's faced criticism, sure.

This is one of the problems I have with reactionary commentary, "cancel culture" and "wokeness" are just nebulous terms that don't translate to real-world happenings.

Just now, HeliX said:

Has JK Rowling been "cancelled"? She's faced criticism, sure.

This is one of the problems I have with reactionary commentary, "cancel culture" and "wokeness" are just nebulous terms that don't translate to real-world happenings.

Like BLM and the transgender extremists.  Watch the clip again. 

Just now, quilp said:

My bet is he didn't watch it. 

I put up with a fair amount of ribbing on here, but please don't imply I'm intellectually dishonest when I'm putting quite measured effort into understanding your viewpoints and rationales, including spending my entire lunch watching a video you linked rather than enjoying myself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Can you expand?

What's a transgender extremist? 

His point in that regard is that whilst it is right in a sane and civilised society to accept and not denigrate people of transgender, and to address them as they may ask,  it is not right to deny the basic biological truth that a male cannot menstruate, which is where JK Rowling went wrong. 

He goes on to explain that in his academic life as an anthropological psychologist, he is attached to the business faculty rather than the psychology or philosophy faculties.  That was refreshing for him as business academics, like engineers and aerodynamic engineers, operate in scientific truths.  His words were something like neoclassical philosophy doesn't  make bridges stand up.  I am paraphrasing greatly there, but that was the nub. Whereas the other faculties operate in opinion. It really is worth a listen. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I hadn't seen it.

Wasn't trying to complain about you posting it, just thought it was amusing that people keep implying that there's huge numbers of black people who are anti-BLM, and then it's only ever the same names coming up...

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

His point in that regard is that whilst it is right in a sane and civilised society to accept and not denigrate people of transgender, and to address them as they may ask,  it is not right to deny the basic biological truth that a male cannot menstruate, which is where JK Rowling went wrong. 

He goes on to explain that in his academic life as an anthropological psychologist, he is attached to the business faculty rather than the psychology or philosophy faculties.  That was refreshing for him as business academics, like engineers and aerodynamic engineers, operate in scientific truths.  His words were something like neoclassical philosophy doesn't  make bridges stand up.  I am paraphrasing greatly there, but that was the nub. Whereas the other faculties operate in opinion. It really is worth a listen. 

For context the actual quote was:
"‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?"

Out of curiosity, what would you call a transgender man who still menstruates? Her comment was a bit dismissive of people living that situation.

I did listen - I just didn't agree. The example he gave when asked for the political results of "wokeness" was that we still claim that women are not treated equally when there are more women in academia than men, so that can't be true. But there's always been more women in "caring" professions (healthcare, childcare, education etc), so that's not a useful barometer. The guy is clearly very good in his particular field, but I'm not sure he's that great outside of it. A bit like Jordan Peterson. There's probably something in there about people who've spent their whole lives in academia (or for another example, politics) not having a particularly strong grasp of anything outside of those arenas.