Black Lives Matter

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

It was a bit of a shock to me to learn that this sector was overlooking a whole host of customers.

Are you ok hun?

You'll get over it. I well remember this being pointed out in the 1970s. I'm still a wee bit reeling from the shock of it all but I think I'm ok now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The comment about the bread is just nonsense and you know it.

You have, however, in advertently stumbled across a sector which provides examples of 'white privilege'.

Many cosmetic products for women are specifically designed for white skin or white people with a tan.  Until recently I believe that there was little choice for black women when it came to products such as foundation, make-up, tights and even plasters that matched their skin tone. 

It was a bit of a shock to me to learn that this sector was overlooking a whole host of customers.

Tesco stock sticking plasters in three shades, but I think that is a relatively recent thing. 

When I was a teenager ( a very long time ago), there was a cosmetics range specifically for black skins.  I can't remember the name and I am not sure it still exists.  Most cosmetic ranges have a very wide range of foundations.  The main purpose of foundation is to even out skin tone, which is less often an issue for darker pigmented skins. 

The main purpose of tights is to colour insipid white legs, and most are not opaque, but there have been opaque tights for donkeys years, mainly black, grey or brown. Again, most pigmented skin does not have the delightfully blotchy appearance of white skin ( if that really is a privilege of being white), which is why caucasians put so much store in a tan, natural or otherwise. 

So, with exception of plasters, it may be that there isn't the huge market of specifically produced cosmetics or tights for darker skins, because the concept of stuff that deals with skin tone is less of an issue for those with darker tones.  I can't  imagine that an industry that plays on insecurity and image, selling products at such a huge mark up, would ignore a whole sector of profit.  Many people I know who have a darker skin don't really bother with foundation, they don't need it, but I may have missed something  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Will Dixie Dregs follow suit? I’ve heard them referred to as ‘The Dregs’ before now, but their full name is still on their website. 

It’s all going a bit mad really (no offence intended if using the word ‘mad’ is somehow offensive to the mentally ill. #PsychoticLivesMatter)

None taken 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr Shoe said:

Contra is highly intelligent. I've watched most of her stuff. I don't always 100% agree but it always makes me think. 

Doesn't make BLM right though. 

It was interesting to learn of the positive manipulations, particularly of housing.  If, rather than some trigger mumbo jumbo, BLM actually highlighted areas such as housing, education, inherent  economic and social bias in their objectives with specific proposals on introducing equality  then they may have a bit more credence.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Dixie Chicks (they’re another band) dropped the ‘Dixie’ from their name. Who next?

Having seen them, maybe drop the word "chicks" while they are at it

• Like 1

Dixie Chicks (they’re another band) dropped the ‘Dixie’ from their name. Who next?

I suppose we should be thankful that Black Bob the coalman is no longer with us...

Edited by Neil Down

I fear that never again will we hear the dulcet tones and agreeable timbre of "Whiter Shade of Pale." 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Are you ok hun?

You'll get over it. I well remember this being pointed out in the 1970s. I'm still a wee bit reeling from the shock of it all but I think I'm ok now.

The shock is more that this appeared to me to have been a sector which private business had ignored or rather not exploited.  Don't worry though, I am doing absolutely fine and will continue to stand up to racism. 

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Tesco stock sticking plasters in three shades, but I think that is a relatively recent thing. 

When I was a teenager ( a very long time ago), there was a cosmetics range specifically for black skins.  I can't remember the name and I am not sure it still exists.  Most cosmetic ranges have a very wide range of foundations.  The main purpose of foundation is to even out skin tone, which is less often an issue for darker pigmented skins. 

The main purpose of tights is to colour insipid white legs, and most are not opaque, but there have been opaque tights for donkeys years, mainly black, grey or brown. Again, most pigmented skin does not have the delightfully blotchy appearance of white skin ( if that really is a privilege of being white), which is why caucasians put so much store in a tan, natural or otherwise. 

So, with exception of plasters, it may be that there isn't the huge market of specifically produced cosmetics or tights for darker skins, because the concept of stuff that deals with skin tone is less of an issue for those with darker tones.  I can't  imagine that an industry that plays on insecurity and image, selling products at such a huge mark up, would ignore a whole sector of profit.  Many people I know who have a darker skin don't really bother with foundation, they don't need it, but I may have missed something  

I will bow to your knowledge on make-up and the purpose of tights, however, I had seen these issues raised by black women in the media on several occasions recently.  Perhaps it is simply the case that the range of products is significantly smaller or not particularly meeting the needs of those with dark skin.  I think the last time I wore make-up was at primary school as a clown in a school panto (I am sure you will all enjoy that little bit of information).

The plasters was one example that did highlight that a product was not taking into account the full range of the products users.  I am purely highlighting this simply as an example of something that many white people do not think about but maybe some black people would notice more.  It is not going to cause any great trauma but shows that they love in a society that does not consider their needs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

The shock is more that this appeared to me to have been a sector which private business had ignored or rather not exploited.  Don't worry though, I am doing absolutely fine and will continue to stand up to racism. 

I will bow to your knowledge on make-up and the purpose of tights, however, I had seen these issues raised by black women in the media on several occasions recently.  Perhaps it is simply the case that the range of products is significantly smaller or not particularly meeting the needs of those with dark skin.  I think the last time I wore make-up was at primary school as a clown in a school panto (I am sure you will all enjoy that little bit of information).

The plasters was one example that did highlight that a product was not taking into account the full range of the products users.  I am purely highlighting this simply as an example of something that many white people do not think about but maybe some black people would notice more.  It is not going to cause any great trauma but shows that they love in a society that does not consider their needs.

I agree on plasters, but the pink toned plasters do not really blend in on white skin,  admittedly they are less obvious on white skin than they are on darker skin.  I suppose it would be petty to mention blue plasters?

On cosmetics and tights,  a counter-argument would be that darker skins don't have to bother with these added complications in life so it is a plus of being black, perhaps?  But I am sure somebody will pounce on that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I agree on plasters, but the pink toned plasters do not really blend in on white skin,  admittedly they are less obvious on white skin than they are on darker skin.  I suppose it would be petty to mention blue plasters?

On cosmetics and tights,  a counter-argument would be that darker skins don't have to bother with these added complications in life so it is a plus of being black, perhaps?  But I am sure somebody will pounce on that. 

It's all down to demand. White or black, if there's sufficient demand then 100% there'd be a company out there making sure they benefit from that market. 

• Like 2

The BBC and Channel 4 News last night (I don't know about ITV) really played down the violent attacks on police by black rioters again. They can hardly bring themselves to report it. No mention whatsoever of colour of course - that's only when it's far right white extremists. That's two nights now that they've played down these major disturbances with dozens of police getting injured. Channel 4 last night chose to lead with police racism or something. There has been creeping bias for years now but the BLM movement are getting a completely free ride on two of our major news channels at the moment, and it sticks out a mile. Their editorial and production teams have been completely taken over by the left liberal elite.  

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's all down to demand. White or black, if there's sufficient demand then 100% there'd be a company out there making sure they benefit from that market. 

So true, especially in the cosmetics and fashion industry.