Black Lives Matter

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

From what I have understood, his dad worked several jobs to finance his Karting in the early days. He was picked up by Ron Dennis and McLaren at about 14 years old rather than having to fund things himself.

I really don't see what is wrong with Ecclestone's comment, he's probably quite correct as it's an observation which just doesn't sit comfortably with the BLM brigade.

Possibly, it would be more correct to say more racially aware than white people.  I have to say, I have been pretty colour blind before all this BLM stuff, taking people as I find them regardless of colour, but am much more aware and careful for fear of inadvertently causing offence.  

• Like 2

Many moons ago whilst on holiday I got talking to a english chap who worked within the formula 1 circus, he said that Hamilton walked around like Mr Billy big time always ignoring anyone who he thought was below him, yet Alonso who always looks grumpy and aloof would acknowledge or stop for a chat even have a drink if time dictated with anyone from the bottom to the top job. Needless to say he said everyone liked and respected Alonso.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

When Michael Schumacher was winning everything in F1, I hated him. When Vettel was winning everything in F1, I hated him. I hate Lewis Hamilton, you can probably guess why. However, I have been called a racist for stating this. 

Yes, well, jealousy is a very ugly word....

8 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Many moons ago whilst on holiday I got talking to a english chap who worked within the formula 1 circus, he said that Hamilton walked around like Mr Billy big time always ignoring anyone who he thought was below him, yet Alonso who always looks grumpy and aloof would acknowledge or stop for a chat even have a drink if time dictated with anyone from the bottom to the top job. Needless to say he said everyone liked and respected Alonso.

Hyper-competitive sports champion a bit of a knobhead? Surely not.

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Ecclestone was right. Of course he is. I know what you mean too Cambon. I've heard that Hamilton can't even scratch his own ass without having someone to do it for him.  

What is not well known is that Schumacher gave €millions and €millions to charity. He did it all very quietly too.

Contrast that with Hamilton's VAT-free fucking jet....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What is not well known is that Schumacher gave €millions and €millions to charity. He did it all very quietly too.

Contrast that with Hamilton's VAT-free fucking jet....

I only really like him because he's British and winning, but doesn't Hamilton also give quite a bit to charity?

4 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

What are the comparative numbers between Schumacher and Hamilton, just for the record?

Do you mean in terms of race wins and championships? Hamilton is basically a successful season behind I reckon, without looking it up.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Yes, well, jealousy is a very ugly word....

Jealous? I am not jealous of anyone! 

The issue with all three drivers is and was a level playing field. Schumacher took Benetton to the top. He then took Ferrari to the top. Vettel basically did similar. However, in both cases the FIA were criticised for favouring those teams. Hamilton has always been with the same team. That team has consistently been favoured in the same way because of Hamilton. Put Hamilton in any other F1 car and he is a pretty average driver, just like his team mate Bottas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Hyper-competitive sports champion a bit of a knobhead? Surely not.

It tends to go with the job, confidence and self belief are everything in any motorsport at any level. The higher the level, the more intensity and pressure, leading to some very strange character traits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Jealous? I am not jealous of anyone! 

The issue with all three drivers is and was a level playing field. Schumacher took Benetton to the top. He then took Ferrari to the top. Vettel basically did similar. However, in both cases the FIA were criticised for favouring those teams. Hamilton has always been with the same team. That team has consistently been favoured in the same way because of Hamilton. Put Hamilton in any other F1 car and he is a pretty average driver, just like his team mate Bottas. 

He started winning with McLaren, I don't think he's an average driver but the best drivers do tend to get the best equipment. Mercedes are not always the best, they make some errors.

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

He started winning with McLaren, I don't think he's an average driver but the best drivers do tend to get the best equipment. Mercedes are not always the best, they make some errors.

I think in a field of like-for-like cars Hamilton would probably still win the most often. Though with Verstappen very close. That kid has a lot of talent.