Black Lives Matter

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Anyone seen the Mercedes F1 teams livery yet? 

Some of you are going to really love it.

I think it discriminates against the creed that the previous silver colour scheme stood up for.

The Silver Surfers. Silver lives matter too. How do I protest?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think it discriminates against the creed that the previous silver colour scheme stood up for.

The Silver Surfers. Silver lives matter too. How do I protest?

Nah. They don't matter. One of the white BLM protesters on tv was shouting "old people go away and die" which seemed rather bigoted for one claiming to abhor bigotry. Does she not have parents or grandparents?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, woolley said:

Nah. They don't matter. One of the white BLM protesters on tv was shouting "old people go away and die" which seemed rather bigoted for one claiming to abhor bigotry. Does she not have parents or grandparents?

They probably kicked her out with that attitude...

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

why not change their badge to a bent knee while they are at it

Beat them to it. The Isle of Man has at least symbolically been taking the knee for years. Taking it up the arse too some might say.

3 legs giving the knee 01.jpg

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Why are you so triggered over a car being painted black?  It's just a colour and Mercedes are not the first to have a black livery.

Not triggered, bemused. Given their involvement with slave labour in Nazi Germany, it's too little too late. Maybe instead of jumping on this bandwagon, they should start looking after the remaining holocaust victims and their families

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Not triggered, bemused. Given their involvement with slave labour in Nazi Germany, it's too little too late. Maybe instead of jumping on this bandwagon, they should start looking after the remaining holocaust victims and their families

They'd have to include Bosch, VW, the Krupp family, the Swiss bankers who traded seized Nazi gold for steel supplies, oh, and Deutsch Bank, amongst others. 

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Could have fooled me with that previous comment. 

Maybe not specifically Mercedes but I think you will find that Germany has been apologising for the actions of Germany in WW2 for many years now.  

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/warschauer-kniefall-1970/ 

"Those who witnessed the scene were awe-struck: a politician actually displayed his emotions by confessing to guilt and begging for forgiveness. With his head bowed low, he froze in this position for twenty or thirty seconds. “I have been often asked what the gesture was all about. Was it planned? No, it wasn’t”. This is how Willy Brandt described the situation many years later in his memoirs: “As I stood on the edge of the Germany’s historical abyss, feeling the burden of millions of murders, I did what people do when words fail"

"According to a Der Spiegel survey of the time, 48% of all West Germans thought the “Kniefall” was excessive, 41% said it was appropriate and 11% had no opinion. The Kniefall was a symbolic action the opposition tried to use against Brandt, as in a Constructive Vote of No Confidence in April 1972, which Brandt won by only two votes. Brandt’s landslide win in the next elections in late 1972 was also due to the growing view among voters that Brandt’s Ostpolitik—symbolized by the Kniefall—and his reformist domestic policies were helping to boost Germany’s international reputation and should be supported"

During WW2 Brandt went into hiding from the Nazi Party who viewed him as an enemy.  Yet even given his history he still fell to his knees and effectively apologised on behalf of the German people.  Since then Germany has remained apposed to Nazism and has sought to teach the history and impact that these events had.  So you can leave the whataboutery to one side.