Black Lives Matter

15 minutes ago, FDR said:

Send me £200 and I'll stop posting entirely until 2021. 

I can do better than that.  How would $3,000,000 sound?  That should stop you posting for much longer.

If you are interested let me know and I will put you in touch with Dr. Bakare Tunde.  His cousin, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde, has accumulated  $15,000,000 in a trust fund at the Lagos International Savings and Trust Association and if you can help him out they will give you 20%.  

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

There is a grain of truth in the idea of virtue signalling and it's not exclusive to people trying to tackle discrimination or injustice.

I couldn't agree more.

Nationalistic jingoism is "virtue signaling" too and I won't hesitate to call it that.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, FDR said:

What else would you call it when people engage in public virtue signalling? It's a very literal descriptive term for exactly what they're doing. Accurately describing their behaviour really says nothing about me, a mere observer of their behaviour. 

You clearly don't realise it says you're judgemental for a start! It also says you are quite arrogant for assuming that your description is the right one.

It reminds me of a certain call to a radio station...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FDR said:

What else would you call it when people engage in public virtue signalling? It's a very literal descriptive term for exactly what they're doing. Accurately describing their behaviour really says nothing about me, a mere observer of their behaviour. 

How can you know whether someone is virtue signalling or not unless you know them well enough to know how much they genuinely care about a particular topic? If you're using it to discredit views you don't agree with when you have no idea whether the person promoting them is acting in good faith or not, that's poor form.

• Like 1

Just now, HeliX said:

How can you know whether someone is virtue signalling or not unless you know them well enough to know how much they genuinely care about a particular topic? If you're using it to discredit views you don't agree with when you have no idea whether the person promoting them is acting in good faith or not, that's poor form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FDR said:

I couldn't agree more.

Nationalistic jingoism is "virtue signaling" too and I won't hesitate to call it that.  

Another example is Commissioners bathing in the reflected glory of the connection to the WWI dead from their town. But the sort of people who sit on local commissioners boards are the sort of people who were sat on draft boards in 1914 and were handing out white feathers.

Or more succinctly...

Blair's Armed Forces Day.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You clearly don't realise it says you're judgemental for a start! It also says you are quite arrogant for assuming that your description is the right one.

It reminds me of a certain call to a radio station...

I have never called a radio station so have no idea what you're referring to. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I listened to that batshit crazy lady who phoned to whine about Stu Peters the other day and you could hear a near-orgasmic power trip in her voice whenever she uttered the word "racist". It's pretty obvious she is a virtue signaling busy body who thrives on bullying, attention, and delusions of power.

Edited by FDR

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

There is a grain of truth in the idea of virtue signalling and it's not exclusive to people trying to tackle discrimination or injustice.

Virtue.jpg

That incident made me really quite angry and disgusted with Bozo and his Bungling Brexiteers.

A year or so before Bozo, Patel, Schapps, Raab, Hancock et al had all voted against NHS staff getting a 1% pay rise. So they didn't.

Their behaviour in applauding our NHS dragged the word "hypocrite" down to a whole new nadir...

Have to say I thought "virtue signalling" meant something else.

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

Another example is Commissioners bathing in the reflected glory of the connection to the WWI dead from their town. But the sort of people who sit on local commissioners boards are the sort of people who were sat on draft boards in 1914 and were handing out white feathers.

Or more succinctly...

Blair's Armed Forces Day.

Do they?

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. But "reflected glory" - don't think so...

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Do they?

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. But "reflected glory" - don't think so...

Yeah Castletown's centenary of WWI was back-slap central.

Incidentally, it's ok to feel proud about wars your ancestors fought, but not shame for the slaves they sold?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah Castletown's centenary of WWI was back-slap central.

Incidentally, it's ok to feel proud about wars your ancestors fought, but not shame for the slaves they sold?

Is it? I didn't know that.

I'll have to take your word for it as I have no intention of attending any Remembrance Sunday or whatever in Castletown or elsewhere.

ETA - what were you doing there?

Edited by P.K.