Black Lives Matter

15 minutes ago, FDR said:

I have never called a radio station so have no idea what you're referring to. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I listened to that batshit crazy lady who phoned to whine about Stu Peters the other day and you could hear a near-orgasmic power trip in her voice whenever she uttered the word "racist". It's pretty obvious she is a virtue signaling busy body who thrives on bullying, attention, and delusions of power.

It sounds to me like she has other "issues" shall we say.

Good description though. I immediately understood what you meant.

• Like 2

Just now, P.K. said:

Is it? I didn't know that.

I'll have to take your word for it as I have no intention of attending any Remembrance Sunday or whatever in Castletown or elsewhere.

I'm asking a question.

It's not the Remembrance Sunday activities I have an issue, that's a sincere activity handed down to us from people from that time, it's the putting a giant sign on the entrance to the town Castletown Remembers and of course getting your photo in the paper alongside. Or people who say "my granddad fought in WWII and therefore Brexit rocks / BLM sucks / Let's Bomb Iran". Everybody had ancestors who fought in those wars, it doesn't give your opinions any more moral weight.

• Like 3

Totally agree FDR the names of the committee of the Manx lot were on Facebook so unless she is a new member people will know who she is......but does it matter.....is anyone really that concerned about her beliefs especially as she has not got the integrity to stand up and be counted, I just cannot believe she got airtime when she would not say who she was.   Not to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

I'm asking a question.

It's not the Remembrance Sunday activities I have an issue, that's a sincere activity handed down to us from people from that time, it's the putting a giant sign on the entrance to the town Castletown Remembers and of course getting your photo in the paper alongside. Or people who say "my granddad fought in WWII and therefore Brexit rocks / BLM sucks / Let's Bomb Iran". Everybody had ancestors who fought in those wars, it doesn't give your opinions any more moral weight.

So according to you the Commissioners have more gravitas attached to their opinions because they can remember two World Wars?

Can't see it myself...

52 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Totally agree FDR the names of the committee of the Manx lot were on Facebook so unless she is a new member people will know who she is......but does it matter.....is anyone really that concerned about her beliefs especially as she has not got the integrity to stand up and be counted, I just cannot believe she got airtime when she would not say who she was.   Not to be taken seriously.

Oh the irony

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, quilp said:

From the sublime to the ridiculous, what is racist about a fairy tale..?

There has been some "outrage" online that Disney are supposed to be casting a black female in the role of Ariel in a live action remake of "The Little Mermaid".  I presume that the picture you posted is either a reaction to that (i.e. replacing a white person with a black person is racist) or just people being idiots.

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Explain to students how the ancestors of many of our politicians and elites today were slave owners and then see what happens...

What would you expect to happen? More which hunts, claims for "reparations" and general strife, presumably. Everyone in the country today, black or white, benefits from its history of exploiting the world and plundering riches which have paid for the infrastructure and the easy life we live now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Declan said:

I'm not sure you are. Social Justice Warrior is a made up term by the right to use as a stick to beat the cause for social justice (in the same way as "do-gooder" became an insult when surely everyone wants to do good). The only way to use it ironically would be for anti-racist or simillar to call themselves an SJW to mock the right's use of the term. And I don't think that's what you are doing. 

The problem with "do-gooders" is that what they perceive as doing good is anything but.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Oh dear, I wondered when the term "virtue signalling" would turn up.

As far as I can tell it's a label that nasty, small-minded people hang on those doing good things for others in order to denigrate them.

Presumable because they judge others by their own lamentably low standards which includes never doing anything for others when there's nothing in it for themselves....

That isn't what virtue signalling is. It isn't about people doing good for others. It's about those who attempt to associate themselves with what they perceive to be the latest progressive fad, and to make sure that everyone knows about it. They aren't actually doing anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

You clearly don't realise it says you're judgemental for a start! It also says you are quite arrogant for assuming that your description is the right one.

It reminds me of a certain call to a radio station...

Isn't everyone on both sides of any argument judgmental? Always seems such a pointless barb.