Black Lives Matter

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

That isn't what virtue signalling is. It isn't about people doing good for others. It's about those who attempt to associate themselves with what they perceive to be the latest progressive fad, and to make sure that everyone knows about it. They aren't actually doing anything.

From what I've seen on here it means this which is why I posted it up:

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Oh dear, I wondered when the term "virtue signalling" would turn up.

As far as I can tell it's a label that nasty, small-minded people hang on those doing good things for others in order to denigrate them.

Presumable because they judge others by their own lamentably low standards which includes never doing anything for others when there's nothing in it for themselves....

I think it can be simply down to perception as well:

2 hours ago, FDR said:

I have never called a radio station so have no idea what you're referring to. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I listened to that batshit crazy lady who phoned to whine about Stu Peters the other day and you could hear a near-orgasmic power trip in her voice whenever she uttered the word "racist". It's pretty obvious she is a virtue signaling passionate busy body who thrives on bullying, attention, and delusions of power.

This made me smile:

"Some advocates of signalling theory use virtue signalling to describe the persistence or occurrence of various costly religious practices such as circumcision, fasting, snake handling, and trial by ordeal"

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Attacking ceremonies that honour the war dead is disgusting, and beggars belief, obviously you have not lost loved ones who fought for the brain dead like you Declan.

That's OK, because I haven't done that.

I have criticised people using a connection to the war dead to claim some sort of moral superiority in a discussion, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Declan said:

That's OK, because I haven't done that.

I have criticised people using a connection to the war dead to claim some sort of moral superiority in a discussion, though.

How do they do that...?

3 hours ago, FDR said:

I have never called a radio station so have no idea what you're referring to. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I listened to that batshit crazy lady who phoned to whine about Stu Peters the other day and you could hear a near-orgasmic power trip in her voice whenever she uttered the word "racist". It's pretty obvious she is a virtue signaling busy body who thrives on bullying, attention, and delusions of power.

Funny sort of virtue signalling that's done anonymously.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

Incidentally, it's ok to feel proud about wars your ancestors fought, but not shame for the slaves they sold?

Ridiculous analogy. What percentage of those who died in the trenches had slaves, or even had ancestors who had slaves? Those who owned slaves and their descendants would be back at HQ "directing operations" rather than dying among the shit and bullets.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

Ridiculous analogy. What percentage of those who died in the trenches had slaves, or even had ancestors who had slaves? Those who owned slaves and their descendants would be back at HQ "directing operations" rather than dying among the shit and bullets.

Plenty of upper class boys died in the trenches.

But I question is bigger than that. If we take national pride in the good things previous generations did; how do we feel about the bad stuff? I don't know the answer to that. I'm proud that Britain and the Island helped defeat the Nazis, but don't feel shame for Britain and the Island's role in slavery. Is that hypocritical? I don't know.

44 minutes ago, Declan said:

Funny sort of virtue signalling that's done anonymously.

Well spotted that man!

47 minutes ago, Declan said:

well, here's one example: -

That's not an example of Commissioners basking in the glow of previous sacrifices of others and thus thinking it adds gravitas to their standing.

It's someone who thinks you are being disrespectful to the ultimate sacrifice of thousands.

So I'm still curious how Commissioners think remembering the war dead makes them somehow morally superior....?

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

That's not an example of Commissioners basking in the glow of previous sacrifices of others and thus thinking it adds gravitas to their standing.

It's someone who thinks you are being disrespectful to the ultimate sacrifice of thousands.

And that's who I was replying in the post you quoted when you asked -  "How do they do that...? ".

Edited by Declan