Black Lives Matter

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

So you want me to reply not to the post you made, but the one you wish you made.

Is it your pub night?

Just reply to how remembering two world wars makes Castletown Commissioners think their views carry more weight and how they demonstrate same...?

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Just reply to how remembering two world wars makes Castletown Commissioners think their views carry more weight and how they demonstrate same...?

Lets start by you finding the post where I've said that.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Plenty of upper class boys died in the trenches.

But I question is bigger than that. If we take national pride in the good things previous generations did; how do we feel about the bad stuff? I don't know the answer to that. I'm proud that Britain and the Island helped defeat the Nazis, but don't feel shame for Britain and the Island's role in slavery. Is that hypocritical? I don't know.

No.  I don't  feel shame either, although it is a shameful part of our history.  We all think if we were alive at the time that we would be right behind Wilberforce, but would we, really?  We can only judge past events through our current eyes and understanding.  Who knows exactly what we would have made of it, what our circumstances, knowledge and attitudes would be.  Perhaps we couldn't read, write, or did not have the time to think of very much beyond  working to feed our families. 

The workers in the cotton mills may have had no knowledge of how the raw material was produced, and even if they did would they really think a slave's lot was worse than their own? They may have been very grateful for the cotton coming in as the workhouse was an even worse fate.  They may have just scraped together enough money to bury the latest child to have died before reaching the age of three, and so on. 

There are very many layers to this particular onion.  That is not to downplay how terrible slavery was, but to put a context on it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, woolley said:

What would you expect to happen? More which hunts, claims for "reparations" and general strife, presumably. Everyone in the country today, black or white, benefits from its history of exploiting the world and plundering riches which have paid for the infrastructure and the easy life we live now.

How to answer....

I would expect an uprising against the social injustice through which the UK controls it's population. 

The likes of Johnson,  Rees-Mogg et al should be vilified by the general population.

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

No.  I don't  feel shame either, although it is a shameful part of our history.  We all think if we were alive at the time that we would be right behind Wilberforce, but would we, really?  We can only judge past events through our current eyes and understanding.  Who knows exactly what we would have made of it, what our circumstances, knowledge and attitudes would be.  Perhaps we couldn't read, write, or did not have the time to think of very much beyond  working to feed our families. 

The workers in the cotton mills may have had no knowledge of how the raw material was produced, and even if they did would they really think a slave's lot was worse than their own? They may have been very grateful for the cotton coming in as the workhouse was an even worse fate.  They may have just scraped together enough money to bury the latest child to have died before reaching the age of three, and so on. 

There are very many layers to this particular onion.  That is not to downplay how terrible slavery was, but to put a context on it. 

This is very true, many British and Irish citizens were not much better than slaves themselves at this time. They may have been free, but unable to do much with that freedom.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Declan said:

Funny sort of virtue signalling that's done anonymously.

She's not anonymous, though, is she? All her friends and fellow Marxists know who she is. Even I know who she is and I'm not exactly the Great Gatsby. 

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

As usual, lot's of common sense.