Credit Card For Kids

Amadeus

Usually, news related to credit cards and the spending associated with the plastic tend to come from the debt capital of Europe, the UK - but it seems, that ze Heimatland is trying to catch up:

From today, Microsoft and VISA in Germany are offering the X-Box Visa Card for Teenagers as young as 14!! (sorry for the German link - it's only available there at the moment - at least you get to see what it looks like).

It's basically a pre-paid Visa card for kids, so they can use X-Box Live online gaming (which requires a credit card to register) and although a holder has to pay money in before he or she can actually use the card, I still think it is highly irresponsible to offer a credit card for 14 year olds and get school kids used to paying with their "good name", which probably won't be very good anymore by the time they turn 18 and have a real credit limit on their cards..

It's "Marketing gone Mad" and I think once again shows that banks aren't really interested in "responsible lending" - otherwise, they wouldn't introduce such a product..

Anyone taking bets how long it will take to be released over here?

edited for spelling

Anyone taking bets how long it will take to be released over here?

edited for spelling

Betting on a forum where under 18's might be reading - how irresponsible..... ;)

Sorry - Force of Habit :) 1/10 it's less than 6 months - any takers?

I think its a bad idea at that age.

But I do think that schools should be teaching about credit, loans, interest, pensions, insurance, mortgages etc. in the last year.

I knew nothing about it when I turned 18 and I remember the bank jumping on me dishing out 2 credit cards straight away. Unfortunatley I ended up in debt. All paid off and I've learned my lesson, but it took a lot of hard work to regain any credit status.

It doesn't have to be in-depth, just a general overview so you don't fall in to a trap too easily.

Maybe they do now - I dunno.

It's basically a pre-paid Visa card for kids, so they can use X-Box Live online gaming (which requires a credit card to register) and although a holder has to pay money in before he or she can actually use the card, I still think it is highly irresponsible to offer a credit card for 14 year olds and get school kids used to paying with their "good name", which probably won't be very good anymore by the time they turn 18 and have a real credit limit on their cards.
Isn't that called a debit card? Kids over here can already get them..

Archived