Political Leanings

HeliX

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/25/2020 at 12:39 PM, Chinahand said:

Sadly the original link doesn't work for me ... it might be being blocked due to work so I'll try later on my personal computer.

This seemed an appropriate thread to post this image which popped up in my Twitter feed recently:

EZRf9A3UwAAcenU?format=jpg&name=large

My daoist side comes out when looking at things like this - what is the natural order of things? 

If you have to structurally distort things to enforce an ideal of equality - say gender quotas for engineering or dietician jobs this can be against justice.  The image assumes the tree has been returned to its correct position ... but governments and entrenched interests are just as good at forcing them to fit their particular ideology.

I'm not entirely against affirmative action, but am very aware caution is needed.  It ain't as simple as it looks.

Thoughts?

In that 'cartoon' you don't need to fix the tree in the way shown.  Just have both individuals move around so that the tree leans between them rather than toward one or the other.  The tree is still bent but they have equal access to both tools and opportunities.

I think these things give a simple visual method to let people understand the concepts but obviously reality is much more complex and the tools used to address inequality can be a rather blunt.

There are some questions that are difficult to answer. I think one is about whether it is more important to have a strong military or to work for international peace. Well, having the former is the best way to guarantee the latter, so I answered "neutral". But I'm not really neutral on it.

3 hours ago, woolley said:

There are some questions that are difficult to answer. I think one is about whether it is more important to have a strong military or to work for international peace. Well, having the former is the best way to guarantee the latter, so I answered "neutral". But I'm not really neutral on it.

Is it the best way or just a way?

34 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Is it the best way or just a way?

Well you can always rely on the goodwill and fairmindedness of others, but given human nature it never turns out to be a good idea. Ask Ukraine if you don't want to take my word for it. 

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well you can always rely on the goodwill and fairmindedness of others, but given human nature it never turns out to be a good idea. Ask Ukraine if you don't want to take my word for it. 

Ukraine spends basically as much on military as Russia when adjusted for GDP - I don't think there's a reasonable way for them to fund a military big enough to make any difference.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Ukraine spends basically as much on military as Russia when adjusted for GDP - I don't think there's a reasonable way for them to fund a military big enough to make any difference.

Agreeing to give up nuclear weapons on a guarantee of territorial integrity signed by Russia and the major powers worked out well for them. 

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Agreeing to give up nuclear weapons on a guarantee of territorial integrity signed by Russia and the major powers worked out well for them. 

Don't disagree with that. Though I do find the fact that a nuclear deterrent works to be a very strong indicator that we have a long way yet to go.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Don't disagree with that. Though I do find the fact that a nuclear deterrent works to be a very strong indicator that we have a long way yet to go.

That's an interesting comment. A long way to go to get where? Genuine question. 

1 minute ago, woolley said:

That's an interesting comment. A long way to go to get where? Genuine question. 

A long way to go to leave tribal nonsense behind. Nuclear deterrent only works because it's possible to credibly believe that your opponent would end the entire world over a ground war.

We will never be able to leave tribal nonsense behind.

Chinahand has posted a similar quiz kind of thing to this one before, gives the results on a 4 axis chart, I think that one was better. This one skews left big time.

Archived