Political Leanings

HeliX

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

We will never be able to leave tribal nonsense behind.

I sincerely hope you're wrong, but I would also put money on it not being in my lifetime, my kids lifetime, nor my grandkids lifetime.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the "other one" may be this one: https://www.politicalcompass.org/

edit: though I DESPISE this question on that one:
"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."

I mean it is, but it's a bad thing. So what's the answer?

Double edit: Again surprising no-one...

GIfYU4d.png

Yeah thats the one. I've shifted left since the last time I did it apparently, but that's not really a surprise considering the rampant corruption and complete inadequacies of the Trump and Johnson administrations. They're letting the whole world down and turning people into commies

personalised chart

I think both quizzes are useful, but provide different things. The 8Values one breaks your opinion on various important issues down well, but doesn't summarise your overall position well - someone's left/right balance is more than the sum of the parts the quiz covers. The politicalcompass one obviously doesn't give you any info on position on specific issues, but is a better summary.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

A long way to go to leave tribal nonsense behind. Nuclear deterrent only works because it's possible to credibly believe that your opponent would end the entire world over a ground war.

I'm with The Teapot on this. We will never leave 'tribal nonsense'  behind. It's a nice dream but that's all it is. Fighting and killing is as much a part of the human condition as eating, breathing and mating with as much chance of leaving it behind. Nuclear weapons cannot be uninvented. 

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I think both quizzes are useful, but provide different things. The 8Values one breaks your opinion on various important issues down well, but doesn't summarise your overall position well - someone's left/right balance is more than the sum of the parts the quiz covers. The politicalcompass one obviously doesn't give you any info on position on specific issues, but is a better summary.

I like both quizzes, and they're fun, but I suspect neither is particularly useful. The problem is that the questions are worded in such a way that there's likely to be a lot of survey response effect skewing things one way or the other. Generally speaking, questionnaires investigating these kinds of things are better when they're working on a couple of levels deeper than bald statements of opinion on issues or ideology and from which you can determine political standpoints; e.g. by using hypothetical or played out scenarios to probe underlying attitudes.  A further benefit of that approach is that you can sneak in a few questions about distressed tortoises to find out if you're dealing with a replicant. 

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I think both quizzes are useful

Not as useful as something which is actually useful though. Like a toothbrush, or a screwdriver, or a pair of underpants, or a condom or - well any of the almost infinite number of things which are more useful.

Archived