Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

I see from P4 of the Independent that a Tynwald Scrutiny Committee has now recommended that IoM Post be granted exclusive rights to the delivery of parcel post up to 1kg in weight. This would exclude the private delivery "gig economy" operators (such as Hermes) from the sector and protect Post Office business, including any future requirement for Treasury subvention.

The PO's income has apparently been badly hit by a fall in letter volumes and competition from the unregulated private "gig" sector. It already enjoys exclusive rights to the delivery of letter post.

Discuss....?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I see from P4 of the Independent that a Tynwald Scrutiny Committee has now recommended that IoM Post be granted exclusive rights to the delivery of parcel post up to 1kg in weight. This would exclude the private delivery "gig economy" operators (such as Hermes) from the sector and protect Post Office business, including any future requirement for Treasury subvention.

The PO's income has apparently been badly hit by a fall in letter volumes and competition from the unregulated private "gig" sector. It already enjoys exclusive rights to the delivery of letter post.

Discuss....?

I don't massive care who delivers things but I do get the issue with this shitty cut price gig economy where you have a load of people probably being paid peanuts and side stepping all the things they should have like PI insurance, the correct car insurance etc.  We had someone delivering something and they bashed our wall.  As it happened they damaged their vehicle mainly but I suspect they would have been scratching had they caused damage to my property.

I really hope that the Post Office don’t get the exclusive rights to deliver parcels. I subscribe to a particular weekly newspaper, it’s sent out first class. So far I am getting some editions 2 weeks later. If this is the best of the Isle of Man Post Office .............. 

I regularly purchase goods from Amazon, using their prime service. It always comes on time, left in a safe place, by Hermes. Sometimes IOM Post parcels come torn or taped up. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That will be no Amazon or eBay or any other deliveries in future then. How on earth could that ever possibly be policed? Are the post office now that desperate they’re stealing minimum wage jobs off desperate self employed Hermès workers? 

• Like 3

The Post Office should become a workers co-operative, & as a stamp issuing service they should have exclusive rights to letters & postcards

There should be no exclusivity for anything else - it's expensive enough having stuff sent here as it is

10 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The Post Office should become a workers co-operative, & as a stamp issuing service they should have exclusive rights to letters & postcards. 

That would never happen and wouldn’t work but what is proposed is literally stealing a living from people who earn less than people who work for government. No different to Longworth stealing jobs off Red Cross charity workers driving minibuses to keep those jobs going. You have to be very careful with this stuff. Why would anyone set up in the private sector here if at some stage government can just rock up and steal your living from you by passing laws which seek to prioritize it’s income needs over yours as a taxpayer paying for them to put you out of business? 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

That would never happen and wouldn’t work but what is proposed is literally stealing a living from people who earn less than people who work for government. No different to Longworth stealing jobs off Red Cross charity workers driving minibuses to keep those jobs going. You have to be very careful with this stuff. Why would anyone set up in the private sector here if at some stage government can just rock up and steal your living from you by passing laws which seek to prioritize it’s income needs over yours as a taxpayer paying for them to put you out of business? 

Are they set up properly though?

Do you know if Hermes drivers have public liability insurance and the appropriate business insurance for their vehicle?

47 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

That will be no Amazon or eBay or any other deliveries in future then. 

It would mean an end to most deliveries. Especially anything which depends upon cheap and easy returns - eg clothing.

It would be hugely unpopular. Not least with the partners, spouses, family and friends of all of the MHKs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Do you know if Hermes drivers have public liability insurance and the appropriate business insurance for their vehicle?

Does it really matter? They are the preferred provider of huge global retailers and deliver under commercial contracts and very tight SLAs right across Europe so why does it concern the IOM so much to the point of potentially putting low paid people who have already had a very rocky ride over Covid on the dole queue so that postmen can continue to be employed? Liability is a matter for the supplier surely? If online retailers are happy using them on the basis of whatever insurance they have in place then surely that’s a commercial issue? It has sod all to do with IOM Post. It is literally threatening to put self employed people with little existing job security already out of work just to keep postmen employed on massive packages Hermès drivers can only dream of! 

Edited by Mr Newbie

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I think you will find that anyone taken on working for Hermes, or even working as a delivery driver for a restaurant or takeaway, will be required to produce insurance details ( which includes insured for business use). I wonder if IOMG civil servants who use their own vehicles in the course of IOMG business are adequately insured? I would be interested if their vehicle is fit for the road, or is mechanically up to say MOT standards.

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

Does it really matter? They are the preferred provider of huge global retailers and deliver under contracts and very tight SLAs right across Europe so why does it concern the IOM so much to the point of potentially putting low paid people who have already had a very rocky ride over Covid on the dole queue so that postmen can continue to be employed? Liability is a matter for the carrier surely? If online retailers are happy using them on the basis of whatever insurance they have in place then surely that’s a commercial issue? It has sod all to do with IOM Post. It is literally putting people out of work just to keep postmen employed on packages Hermès drivers can only dream of! 

Well it does matter doesn't it? If you ran a business as you should do and someone set up doing the same thing but without the appropriate protocols in place for insurances ot whatever then it wouldn't be a level playing field.

As I say I don't massively care who delivers what but you should have one business confirming to one set of requirements and another being run like a cowboy outfit on the cheap.

20 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

This

Disgusting that they are even considering this. And don't forget the taxi drivers Longworth has screwed over too. This place might as well call itself Little Cuba and be done with it

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well it does matter doesn't it? If you ran a business as you should do and someone set up doing the same thing but without the appropriate protocols in place for insurances ot whatever then it wouldn't be a level playing field.

In reality it’s not hard to undercut a business which employs postmen on £35k a year with full final salary pensions without skimping on insurance. The reasons why they undercut IOM Post have little to do with cheapo insurance would be my guess and are more about a commercial business not over paying people to do very basic jobs that are not commercially viable when compared to the value of contracts you’re actually tendering for.

Deliveroo would not be viable if they delivered food in Bentleys driven by people earning £40K a year with a final salary pensions. All that’s being compared here is a dead 1970s pre free markets business model against a current 21st century business model. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 4