Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

Correct the financial model is borderline laughable which is why so many people running rural post offices simply can’t be arsed and are handing them back. 

Which comes back to the question , if the public & Tynwald want them to continue operating in rural areas are they prepared to subsidize them with tax payers money?

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Raises too many difficult questions around sovereignty. 

The easy questions are boring.

Economics and sovereignty are intrinsically linked. If a country doesn't control its money supply then it doesn't control its economy - in which case any claim of governmental independence is daft. Whether or not someone thinks that matters will likely have a big impact on what they think about the transient issues of that day - such as (this year) Brexit, regional nationalism, silly flags etc.

19 hours ago, pongo said:

The easy questions are boring.

Economics and sovereignty are intrinsically linked. If a country doesn't control its money supply then it doesn't control its economy - in which case any claim of governmental independence is daft. Whether or not someone thinks that matters will likely have a big impact on what they think about the transient issues of that day - such as (this year) Brexit, regional nationalism, silly flags etc.

We know you believe in a harmonious world government, but the world functions by the interaction of states.

4 hours ago, woolley said:

We know you believe in a harmonious world government, but the world functions by the interaction of states.

It's nothing to do with any of that. A state which does not control its own monetary policy is effectively governed by whichever state does.

I'd be surprised if anyone on the Brexit side would disagree with that.

Edited by pongo

1 hour ago, pongo said:

It's nothing to do with any of that. A state which does not control its own monetary policy is effectively governed by whichever state does.

I'd be surprised if anyone on the Brexit side would disagree with that.

We are certainly controlled by the UK for this and many other reasons.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I see Manx Indy have issued an impressive press release on this. They employ over 130 people and all are on above minimum wage and they pay a huge amount of VAT, fuel duty, tax and NI to keep all the civil servants employed and they are one of the biggest customers of the IOM SPC keeping the shipping line afloat. Hardly the “gig economy” company it’s been painted as by the state parcel service 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-independent-carriers-hits-back-at-gig-economy-claims/

Let’s see who actually delivers them to the doorstep 

• Like 1

It’s getting tiresome now listening to Julie Edge, sucking up to the Unions as she didn’t get her own way. Manx Independent Carriers won the tender exercise, straightforward. Sadly she wants to show her credentials to the unions, and to the electorate in the forthcoming General Election. If she gets offered a Ministerial role, subject to re-election, let’s see if she can the pressure of negotiations with trade unions. I think the unions will make mincemeat of her and Rob Callister, another one who likes to run with the hares and the hounds.

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s getting tiresome now listening to Julie Edge, sucking up to the Unions as she didn’t get her own way. Manx Independent Carriers won the tender exercise, straightforward. Sadly she wants to show her credentials to the unions, and to the electorate in the forthcoming General Election. If she gets offered a Ministerial role, subject to re-election, let’s see if she can the pressure of negotiations with trade unions. I think the unions will make mincemeat of her and Rob Callister, another one who likes to run with the hares and the hounds.

From what I've seen of Julie it's strange because she isn't usually one for sucking up.

Anything I've seen from her in the news tends to be her criticising when things are done wrong, and she offers a solution. (unlike some)

So really strange of her to be sucking up the the union when we all well know that the CWU is a group of militants followed by hordes of lazy postmen who, god forbid, Royal Mail/IOMP threaten their chances at carrying on with a 4 hour working day on FULL PAY. 

*further note* thank god the Post Office didn't get the contract because the more that goes against them the better and that may lead to them performing an operational reform to get out all the lazy, moaning twats on 4 hour days, and maybe help the Post Office get into 2021 on putting FULL resources into their Parcel operation as a lot of the time they are beyond capacity, while 40/50+ postmen head out with their little bag for a 3 hour walk. 

Edited by Darkness Incarnate

7 minutes ago, Darkness Incarnate said:

From what I've seen of Julie it's strange because she isn't usually one for sucking up.

Anything I've seen from her in the news tends to be her criticising when things are done wrong, and she offers a solution. (unlike some)

So really strange of her to be sucking up the the union when we all well know that the CWU is a group of militants followed by hordes of lazy postmen who, god forbid, Royal Mail/IOMP threaten their chances at carrying on with a 4 hour working day on FULL PAY. 

*further note* thank god the Post Office didn't get the contract because the more that goes against them the better and that may lead to them performing an operational reform to get out all the lazy, moaning twats on 4 hour days, and maybe help the Post Office get into 2021 on putting FULL resources into their Parcel operation as a lot of the time they are beyond capacity, while 40/50+ postmen head out with their little bag for a 3 hour walk. 

I agree with your addendum comment. Whilst I disagree with your view and homage to Julie Edge, I respect your opinion. Sadly I wouldn’t vote for her. 

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Why would I pay any attention to someone who sounds like a crazy? The press release is very clear. Manx Indy certainly are not a gig economy player. They are a major taxpayer and contributor to the Manx economy. 

No, Manx Independent are fantastic.

Unfortunately the MAJORITY  of people employed as "Hermes" drivers fall far, far from 'Fantastic'. 

Edited by Darkness Incarnate
added Majority Of as some are okay.

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Did MIC actually win a tender? I doubt it. I suspect one of their partners in UK that they mention would have secured the business from UKGov and MIC just happened to be that company's partner in IOM.