Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I see Manx Indy have issued an impressive press release on this. They employ over 130 people and all are on above minimum wage and they pay a huge amount of VAT, fuel duty, tax and NI to keep all the civil servants employed and they are one of the biggest customers of the IOM SPC keeping the shipping line afloat. Hardly the “gig economy” company it’s been painted as by the state parcel service 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-independent-carriers-hits-back-at-gig-economy-claims/

All of which may be true, but none of which stops them being part of the 'gig economy'.  What characterises the gig economy is the casualisation of the workforce, either directly or indirectly.  They refer to in a back-handed way in the MR piece "also employ sub contracted staff to cover peaks and troughs" and "a number of directly employed subcontractors".

Of course we're increasingly seeing this from the Post Office as well with more use of casual staff.  So they can't really complain.  But everything relating to the LFTs is dodgy, so I suppose the delivery of them is going to be as well.

I've no love of Julie E but her response was what one would expect from someone in her position. She copcked up in referring the 'Gig Economy', gave her opponents the opportunity to knock her down! Bad position to put oneself in?

There is the Govt tender procurement process, which is long winded and frankly, unnecessary for small contracts and the informal tender for a quick response.

Rather like the UK govt contracts for MPs friends during Covid???

What I find mildly amusing about this is the IoM PO complaining about the unfairness of competing against the "gig" economy whilst increasingly using "gig" ZHC and part-time workers themselves including replacing retiring full-timers with same.

So we effectively have one gig industry unable to compete with another gig industry. Clearly then, the first gig industry must have overheads that are burdening it to the point of being uncompetitive in its now chosen direction of market. So how can this be?

Maybe it's due to the volume of management positions and population of the office block next to the Sorting Office up Spring Valley?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Manx Indy for bulky Hermes stuff or Hermes couriers deliver my Amazon stuff far better and quicker than the local  PO.

If I track a package from Amazon and it says "Royal Mail" I accept that it will be here in about 7 to 10 days - slow mail, really slow and lots go missing, far more don't turn up with the Royal Mail than don't turn up with Hermes.

I have actually had a IOM PO postman moaning to my face that they are "sick of delivering so many boxes from Amazon" !!!!!!!! WTAF

On Amazon, If it says Hermes, it will be here a day after it is shown as out for delivery in "Bolton" for some strange reason which is usually 2 days from order placement.

I may be lucky with our Hermes MIC guy or our Hermes delivery lady, they are both really nice people and go out of their way to get stuff delivered on time and to a safe place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

What I find mildly amusing about this is the IoM PO complaining about the unfairness of competing against the "gig" economy whilst increasingly using "gig" ZHC and part-time workers themselves including replacing retiring full-timers with same.

So we effectively have one gig industry unable to compete with another gig industry. Clearly then, the first gig industry must have overheads that are burdening it to the point of being uncompetitive in its now chosen direction of market. So how can this be?

Maybe it's due to the volume of management positions and population of the office block next to the Sorting Office up Spring Valley?

I wonder why MIC and Hermes are more competitive in price than IOM PO?

Do you think the fact that IOM post has people in positions like " Uniform Manager" that they cant compete?

Positions like this, in such a small organisation,(They may be "big" here but in the scheme of things they are tiny and cant justify managerial jobs like that)  is why they loose tenders, not because of the so called Gig Economy. 

I could go on but i really cant be arsed........

9 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I wonder why MIC and Hermes are more competitive in price than IOM PO?

Do you think the fact that IOM post has people in positions like " Uniform Manager" that they cant compete?

Positions like this, in such a small organisation,(They may be "big" here but in the scheme of things they are tiny and cant justify managerial jobs like that)  is why they loose tenders, not because of the so called Gig Economy. 

I could go on but i really cant be arsed........

IOMPO have no clue about real life supply chain management operations and absolutely missed the boat with forging relationships with global operators in the early days. 

• Like 2