Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

On their website there’s a casual job at £9.45 ph , it’s bank work so it normally appeals to those who are between jobs or have another job looking for extra money. Perhaps you can advise where the £8.72 job is advertised ?

They're being offered to on an internal PO newsletter that I've had sight of, to anybody known to current employees who might be interested. There are other vacancies too but they're administrative and almost exclusively restricted to internal applicants.

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They're being offered to on an internal PO newsletter that I've had sight of, to anybody known to current employees who might be interested. There are other vacancies too but they're administrative and almost exclusively restricted to internal applicants.

Very strange & perhaps unbelievable that it’s being advertised externally for more !

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Very strange & perhaps unbelievable that it’s being advertised externally for more !

The PO have also been recently been advertising for a (very) small number of what they call "Permanent Part Time" positions, which would appear to be a step above the casual ZHC posts; might it be one of these that you're thinking of?

Once again, such positions are being used to replace retiring full-time employees.

• Like 1

It's extremely unlikely that any organisation would offer jobs at less that the minimum wage. about 9.50 I think.

Could be underage 18 student type jobs, or self employed contract rates but not full time employment . I think that would be illegal?

Thanks Roger. I dread to think the candidates you would get for that rate! I think  10 quid and preferably 11 quid an hour is the way to go!...... and this is minimal?

Not sure that rate is correct though, less I'm thinking of 'Living Wage'. Which we should be paying.

Edited by Kopek

There is a difference between employed and self employed.

Employed, you are subject to NI and ITIP deductions, self employed you are not, you sort them out for yourself.

If a job is being offered as contract work, self employed, then it is not subject to normal employment laws, shame but it is part of the evolving job market>

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

No it’s an hourly rate. That’s it. If your son was paid £9 an hour by the PO that is not the IOM living wage and probably similar to what he’d have got working for Hermès. 

Under 18 it’s different rates check your facts , under 18 minimum wage is £6.15 so got c50% more.

Edited by Banker

11 hours ago, Banker said:

The difference between the £8.72 and the £9.45 is the "rolled up" holiday pay component, 68p per hour as the casual staff obviously do not receive a paid holiday entitlement as full time employees do.

Nor is there any sick pay or pension entitlement whatsoever for casual employees, in fact any new part time employees have no sick entitlement either.

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Under 18 it’s different rates check your facts , under 18 minimum wage is £6.15 so got c50% more.

There aren’t different rates based on age for “living wage”. “Minimum wage” and “living wage” are different things. It’s you, as usual, needs to check your facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There aren’t different rates based on age for “living wage”. “Minimum wage” and “living wage” are different things. It’s you, as usual, needs to check your facts.

I quoted minimum wage rate if you actually read the post!!

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

As John Wright points out there is only one living wage and it’s £10.97 so your claims that the post office pays everyone the living wage are false and you admit they’re only paying your son £9 an hour. The normal rate is around £8.75 an hour. No pension. Paid for the hours you work. Those are the same typical “gig economy” terms they are deriding Manx Indy for. 

Are you working for MIC or Hermes? I was referring to full time roles, many of which have been advertised recently at various places on Island 

Edited by Banker
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

I quoted minimum wage rate if you actually read the post!!

Yes, but the post you were replying to was about living wage, but that didn’t stop you criticising the figures and suggesting they checked their facts! Your usual methodology of confusion and conflation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whilst I don’t have an issue with MIC their press release is a bit economical.

I am not saying there are not issues with IOM Post Office but the carriers like Hermès & MIC etc only want the profitable contracts & don’t have the costs of providing letters delivery, sub post offices, pension for workers etc.

I guess eventually if government withdraw services from post offices & give contracts to gig economy then ultimately the shareholders ie Iom government & therefore taxpayers will need to pay a subsidy & then of course people will be whining again!!!

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Which bit is economical? The bit where they say they pay a huge load of taxes and fuel duty to Treasury and that everyone gets paid over the minimum wage, or the bit where they say they pay a massive amount to the SPC every year which ultimately funds the dividend that Treasury will take to spend partially underwriting the post office? 

No the bit where they say delivery will be by MIC employees & not Hermès