Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

5 hours ago, Banker said:

I think you’ll find as a result of a recent Tynwald question that post office is the only part of government that has reduced head count including management in last 5 years!!

as I understand it  the Post office are still paying at least 2 people to be chief executive , and the level of administration below that is awesome , however they seem to have a good philatelic department  with many loyal customers  hanging on , but what I don't understand is why treasury don't give them  the  collectors  coins , after all the post office has a good marketing network ,and there is a good synergy with the type of collectors , there is probably  a team of people in Treasury with responsibility for coins with Henderson  heading it up ! enough said !

22 hours ago, Omobono said:

as I understand it  the Post office are still paying at least 2 people to be chief executive , and the level of administration below that is awesome , however they seem to have a good philatelic department  with many loyal customers  hanging on , but what I don't understand is why treasury don't give them  the  collectors  coins , after all the post office has a good marketing network ,and there is a good synergy with the type of collectors , there is probably  a team of people in Treasury with responsibility for coins with Henderson  heading it up ! enough said !

Usual Bollocks with no basis in fact! If you bothered looking at website you would see there is 1 CEO, 1 Chief operating officer & 1 finance director which is a lot less executives in similar government departments!

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

'...... there is 1 CEO, 1 Chief operating officer & 1 finance director which is a lot less executives in similar government departments!''

Still more than is needed. Giant PLCs have only those three too! And how many managers are there at the IOM PO? And how much do all the executives and all the managers cost the public including all the perks and the costs of all of their accomodation and all their ''support'' staff and all the other related costs too? And of course there are also all the costs of the Chairman, Vice Chairman and the rest of the completely obscene and needless bloat. 

Have you checked the prevalent views of the troops who actually do the real work to see if they think any of that obscene bloat is necessary and defensible? 

Edited by Cassie2

1 minute ago, Cassie2 said:

Still more than is needed. Giant PLCs have only those three too! And how many managers are there at the IOM PO? And how much do all the executives and all the managers cost the public including all the perks and the costs of all of their accomodation and all their ''support'' staff and all the other related costs too? And of course there are also all the costs of the Chairman, Vice Chairman and the rest of the completely obscene and needless bloat. 

Have you checked the prevalent views of the troops who actually do the real work to see if they think any if that obscene bloat is necessary and defensible? 

Have a look at the annual accounts for all costs , it’s a regulatory requirement to have a qualified FD particularly for a £29m t/o company, not sure how you expect any large company to function without CEO & COO , check how many non income generating departments employ.

Of course if you had any sense you would know the chair & vice chair are elected politicians & paid like everyone else in Tynwald!

I expect you could run business at a profit whilst continuing with all the costly parts which make a loss but politicians & public expect for free!

5 hours ago, Banker said:

Have a look at the annual accounts for all costs , it’s a regulatory requirement to have a qualified FD particularly for a £29m t/o company, not sure how you expect any large company to function without CEO & COO , check how many non income generating departments employ.

Of course if you had any sense you would know the chair & vice chair are elected politicians & paid like everyone else in Tynwald!

I expect you could run business at a profit whilst continuing with all the costly parts which make a loss but politicians & public expect for free!

Must have missed something - who states if the FD has to be qualified and which qualifications are acceptable to that regulatory body? I do agree it is advisable but did not know it was a necessity?

I’m pretty sure this company is well run with directors who are committed to their employees , customers and other stakeholders. We should cherish these companies and not deride them. They are a lifeline. I don’t work for them nor know who owns or runs them. 

10 hours ago, Dunroamin said:

Must have missed something - who states if the FD has to be qualified and which qualifications are acceptable to that regulatory body? I do agree it is advisable but did not know it was a necessity?

Might be a requirement for a public sector body, under Government Financial Regulations. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, Omobono said:

Thanks for reminding us of the Collectors coins that the Treasury sell, sounds like a good idea. Perhaps there could be cost savings and employee reduction or redeployment as well. 

Thanks for reminding us of the Collectors coins that the Treasury sell, sounds like a good idea. Perhaps there could be cost savings and employee reduction or redeployment as well. Where do you buy these Collectors Coins? Is there a shop at Government Offices? At least with the Stamps you can get at POHQ and sub PO etc, and has an online presence. 

Thanks for reminding us of the Collectors coins that the Treasury sell, sounds like a good idea. Perhaps there could be cost savings and employee reduction or redeployment as well. Where do you buy these Collectors Coins? Is there a shop at Government Offices? At least with the Stamps you can get at POHQ and sub PO etc, and has an online presence. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You can get them from ... the Post Office:

https://www.iompost.com/stamps-coins/collection/coins/

On 8/22/2021 at 10:09 AM, offshoremanxman said:

I think the gig economy argument is false when the PO themselves are pensioning salaried staff off and employing replacements on an hourly wage. That’s exactly the same. The PO has a good chairman and vice chairman but their current focus on just trashing MIC as they got a contract they wanted is totally wrong. 

Strange, my friend who works there tells me 5 permanent posts being advertised 4 FT & 1 PT , not sure where you get information that staff are being replaced by hourly paid workers?