Exclusive Rights for Post Office?

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Surely these two would have had an inkling that the future of this facility wasn’t safe, and have perhaps have raised it before, so perhaps it was in the headlines.

This haas been the talk of the village for at least a year. They knew it was coming, as wise all did from the meetings in the Town Hall.  Wow all knew the POs determination to close it so that os why no buyer has come forward.

Both MHKs steered clear during the election though. Now it appears to be as little too much indignation certainly too late, purely for show, which is disappointing as I expected more from these two.

I use cheques (what still?) in the post office. Because I can, and I still want to. Helps me keep track on spending. Now those choices will be denied. Port Erin post office can be busy enough and the extra traffic there now will certainly be clogging up Church Road parking spaces when PSM closes. 

Sign o' the times ? More local services disappearing. Port Erin in two years will undergo the same treatment I reckon, and where will the Southern tourists post the IOM stamped post cards from then ?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apple said:

This haas been the talk of the village for at least a year. They knew it was coming, as wise all did from the meetings in the Town Hall.  Wow all knew the POs determination to close it so that os why no buyer has come forward.

Both MHKs steered clear during the election though. Now it appears to be as little too much indignation certainly too late, purely for show, which is disappointing as I expected more from these two.

I use cheques (what still?) in the post office. Because I can, and I still want to. Helps me keep track on spending. Now those choices will be denied. Port Erin post office can be busy enough and the extra traffic there now will certainly be clogging up Church Road parking spaces when PSM closes. 

Sign o' the times ? More local services disappearing. Port Erin in two years will undergo the same treatment I reckon, and where will the Southern tourists post the IOM stamped post cards from then ?  

I don’t think it’s IoM post office’s fault. It’s a private business being a sub post master. No one wants the hassle of being a sub post master unless they’re also operating a big enough other retail business.

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think it’s IoM post office’s fault. It’s a private business being a sub post master. No one wants the hassle of being a sub post master unless they’re also operating a big enough other retail business.

But if being a sub-postmaster is a hassle or (more likely) it is insufficiently rewarded for the amount of work required, that is the fault of the Post Office.  They're the ones who set the contractual terms and the rates of reward.

• Like 2

Maybe some of the Post Offices in Douglas could be trimmed down. After all, there are perfectly adequate bus services all over Douglas, which includes, Willaston, Pulrose and Anaghcoar. Or are the Post Office Chiefs afraid of upsetting the MHKs and those who own the buildings? 

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Maybe some of the Post Offices in Douglas could be trimmed down. After all, there are perfectly adequate bus services all over Douglas, which includes, Willaston, Pulrose and Anaghcoar. Or are the Post Office Chiefs afraid of upsetting the MHKs and those who own the buildings? 

They perhaps have enough business so are able to make a profit.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if being a sub-postmaster is a hassle or (more likely) it is insufficiently rewarded for the amount of work required, that is the fault of the Post Office.  They're the ones who set the contractual terms and the rates of reward.

Not really. It’s everything moving on line, or direct payments.

A family member, in her mid 50’s, took over Santon post office when she was widowed. 

The pay wasn’t much, but there was a commission on cash handled, and on stamp sales. My dad started drawing his pension there. She got 20p each time he encashed one of the payment orders from his order book. So £10 a year. We’d buy all our stamps ( 500 at Xmas for cards from dad, me and my sister ).

People walked from Newtown estate. Lots of pensioners and benefit recipients.

That business has long gone

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

There is a frequent bus service between Port Erin and Port St Mary though for the few that do not drive.

Correct, and some of the older ones I know live a few hundred yards to get to the nearest stop. It's be good exercise I guess. 

• Like 1